Help pick cpu and gpu cooling units

UniqueLegacyy

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
Well I am thinking of getting a i7 Intel 4790k paired with the asus Maximus hero VII(probably) and i don't know what cooling unit I should get for it. Also I was thinking of maybe cooling my gpu a GeForce gtx 780 which I don't really know much about any feed back will be great

Solution
H110i GT and H100i GTX just came out. I haven't even seen them anywhere or any reviews on em. H110 will be too big for you case. Your case won't fit a 280mm radiator. Just grab the H100i or H105 or H100i GTX if you want to try the new one out. I know that, H100i, H105 and H110 all perform pretty much identically and they all cost the pretty much the same as well.
The GPU probably won't need a cooler other than what is on it. For the CPU cooler, for minimal to moderate overclocking, you'll hear a lot of parrots say [awwwwk!] Hyper212 EVO [awwwwk!]. While not a bad cooler, it is a bang/buck Loser; avoid the parrots and select from this list: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2478892/alternatives-hyper-212-evo-budget-cooling.html
If you intend high overclocking, you'll need a better class of cooler entirely, such as a Phanteks or Noctua 140mm cooler, and you'll spend $65-$80 for it.

TakeshiKudo

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Do yourself a favor, read some customer reviews. If its still what you want, then go for it. At least you'll know what you should expect after reading the pros and cons. Most pros are about how pretty it looks in the case. Cons are mostly about the lack of support from Corsair Link software, loud fans noise, doesnt cool as good as expected. Self-contained liquid cooling are for people who wants to pretend they watercool and be in the "cool" crowd.

Im happy people sacrifice and purchase these type of cooling device. So that companies will invest more in R&D and improve these things.

Vici0us

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
If Corsair was garbage people wouldn't be constantly buying the products. A good Corsair cooler usually runs me 4 years. By that time I upgrade either way.

I like the Xigmatek Gaia myself, but all of the coolers on that list are "similar" in performance.
Unless you plan to move your system around a lot, and a weight on the motherboard could be hazardous, I do not recommend AIO coolers. In addition to the previously-mentioned issue of noise, although they may do a good job cooling the CPU, they do nothing for motherboard components like the VRMs. Good air coolers are almost as good as the AIO coolers anyway, and for a lot less money.

Vici0us

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
CPU water cooler? Get Corsair H105, it's great. I have one on my i7 4770K and it's great even have my CPU @ 4.4GHz with good temps. The fans on H105 are actually pretty good. I've tried using different fans but I like stock ones the most. I just added two more SP120 Corsair fans for push/pull.

Stocks fans aren't loud IMO and perform well. But if you want other good performing silent fans then I'd recommend: AF120 Performance, Corsair SP120 High Performance.

AF series is basically same airflow as SP but it's a bit quieter.

Both SP & AF series comes with three different color rings for the fans. Colors are: White, Red & Blue. So those rings look great with a proper color for your rig.

That's my rig with H105 water cooler and top SP fans with white rings on em. So you get an idea.

2f1636c0_IMG_1716.jpeg

Vici0us

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
Haha no. H105 is pretty much the new version of H100i. They perform pretty much identically.

Vici0us

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
H110i GT and H100i GTX just came out. I haven't even seen them anywhere or any reviews on em. H110 will be too big for you case. Your case won't fit a 280mm radiator. Just grab the H100i or H105 or H100i GTX if you want to try the new one out. I know that, H100i, H105 and H110 all perform pretty much identically and they all cost the pretty much the same as well.

Solution