Question Help pick home office desktop under $750

Dec 1, 2021
Hi all!

Looking to purchase a pre built home office PC for under $750. Current PC is on it's last leg. Things have changed and I have no clue where to even begin! I don't do any gaming, and need a very minimal amount of storage. Would rather put the money towards power / ram. Would prefer to purchase with 16 Ram already installed but not opposed to adding more myself if better bang for the buck? Thanks!

Would something like this work? https://www.newegg.com/acer-aspire-...stations/p/1VK-0017-00FS6?Item=9SIAE4NC2S3652

Or something like this? https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-pavilion-desktop-tp01-2155m-bundle-pc

Dec 1, 2021

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Sorry, the selector doesn’t work very well on mobile. I couldn’t see that the CPU had changed.

Yes, still a much better choice than the Acer.

The i3 is still a very powerful CPU and if you never plan to do any gaming then I’d rather have $200 than 2 additional cpu cores that will not really be used. Up to you.

Dec 1, 2021
Sorry, the selector doesn’t work very well on mobile. I couldn’t see that the CPU had changed.

Yes, still a much better choice than the Acer.

The i3 is still a very powerful CPU and if you never plan to do any gaming then I’d rather have $200 than 2 additional cpu cores that will not really be used. Up to you.

Should I avoid Acer/HP? My computer knowledge is from 15 or so years ago when Dell had a bad reputation. Same specs basically pick Dell over the others?
Also yes will never do any gaming. I was leaning towards the i5 thinking it would buy me a few more years of use vs i3 and need to replace sooner. Is that not really the case?

Hi all!

Looking to purchase a pre built home office PC for under $750. Current PC is on it's last leg. Things have changed and I have no clue where to even begin! I don't do any gaming, and need a very minimal amount of storage. Would rather put the money towards power / ram. Would prefer to purchase with 16 Ram already installed but not opposed to adding more myself if better bang for the buck? Thanks!

Would something like this work? https://www.newegg.com/acer-aspire-...stations/p/1VK-0017-00FS6?Item=9SIAE4NC2S3652

Or something like this? https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-pavilion-desktop-tp01-2155m-bundle-pc
Only you know.
What stuff your going to run.
What stuff your going to run all at the same time.
How much ram you will need.
How much storage space you will need.

So take a look at what you will be doing with the machine and then make a best guess.....cpu muscle....ram amount.....storage amount.

Reactions: sk00pie
Dec 1, 2021
Only you know.
What stuff your going to run.
What stuff your going to run all at the same time.
How much ram you will need.
How much storage space you will need.

So take a look at what you will be doing with the machine and then make a best guess.....cpu muscle....ram amount.....storage amount.

Thanks for the reply. Answered you questions below. Looking for advice on the questions I can't answer. I'd like a CPU and Ram that would last a while for my basic needs. Also don't want to waste money on more cores that would never actually be used if I don't need.

What stuff your going to run. Basic word processing and web browsing
What stuff your going to run all at the same time. Same as above, basic 1-2 apps at a time.
How much ram you will need. This I don't know as my knowledge is from decades ago. Goal is to keep this machine for a while, is 16 going to make any difference or stick to 8?
How much storage space you will need. Almost nothing, 128 would be plenty.

Thanks for the reply. Answered you questions below. Looking for advice on the questions I can't answer. I'd like a CPU and Ram that would last a while for my basic needs. Also don't want to waste money on more cores that would never actually be used if I don't need.

What stuff your going to run. Basic word processing and web browsing
What stuff your going to run all at the same time. Same as above, basic 1-2 apps at a time.
How much ram you will need. This I don't know as my knowledge is from decades ago. Goal is to keep this machine for a while, is 16 going to make any difference or stick to 8?
How much storage space you will need. Almost nothing, 128 would be plenty.
Based on that.
Cpu....I3 or ryzen3.
Ram.....2x4GB.
Storage....256GB ssd.

Reactions: sk00pie
Dec 1, 2021
Based on that.
Cpu....I3 or ryzen3.
Ram.....2x4GB.
Storage....256GB ssd.

Just the facts, love it! Few more questions...

• Does it matter manufacturer Dell, HP, Acer, etc? Or pick any big name based on best price?
  • Will 8gb hinder me in a few years making 16gb worth it? Or since I don't really use more than 2 basic apps a time won't ever come into play?

Just the facts, love it! Few more questions...

• Does it matter manufacturer Dell, HP, Acer, etc? Or pick any big name based on best price?
  • Will 8gb hinder me in a few years making 16gb worth it? Or since I don't really use more than 2 basic apps a time won't ever come into play?
I don't have a pref for brand name.
When you find something that fits read the reviews.

Ram....in a few years if it becomes a problem just add/upgrade.

I have a dell pre-built no major problems.