help picking motherboard

I am buidling a PC (my second ever) and need help determining what
motherboard I need. I was gifted with a P4 2.8GHz 500 MHz, 512L2,
478pin. The pack date on the box is 12-22-03 so I'm not sure if I'll
have have a problem finding a motherboard that will support it. I
appreciate any help.

Ellroy

jad

YIKES! Will you be doing 'rocket science' or surfing porn sites? Just go to
any online store's catalog and search socket 478

"Ellroy" <his_son_ellroy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am buidling a PC (my second ever) and need help determining what
> motherboard I need. I was gifted with a P4 2.8GHz 500 MHz, 512L2,
> 478pin. The pack date on the box is 12-22-03 so I'm not sure if I'll
> have have a problem finding a motherboard that will support it. I
> appreciate any help.
>
> Ellroy

You might have more trouble finding a mainboard (at least a new one) that
*won't* support it.

Try the mainboard finder at www.newegg.com. Search for Socket 478, 533/400
MHz FSB (front side bus). You'll mostly get boards with non-Intel chipsets.

The Socket 478 boards that support 800 MHz FSB ought to be backward
compatible with the 533 MHz CPUs, so you could use one of those as well. I
liked my Asus P4P800 (865PE chipset) the best of any mainboard I've ever
owned. A version of it is still available, but it's not a budget board.

Bob Knowlden

Address may be scrambled.. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

"Ellroy" <his_son_ellroy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am buidling a PC (my second ever) and need help determining what
> motherboard I need. I was gifted with a P4 2.8GHz 500 MHz, 512L2,
> 478pin. The pack date on the box is 12-22-03 so I'm not sure if I'll
> have have a problem finding a motherboard that will support it. I
> appreciate any help.
>
> Ellroy

This is a list with some 478 motherboards that support 533 FSB and DDR400:

http://tinyurl.com/dgek7

Marc

Ellroy wrote:
> I am buidling a PC (my second ever) and need help determining what
> motherboard I need. I was gifted with a P4 2.8GHz 500 MHz, 512L2,
> 478pin. The pack date on the box is 12-22-03 so I'm not sure if I'll
> have have a problem finding a motherboard that will support it. I
> appreciate any help.
>
> Ellroy

Hackworth

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

"Ellroy" <his_son_ellroy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am buidling a PC (my second ever) and need help determining what
> motherboard I need. I was gifted with a P4 2.8GHz 500 MHz, 512L2,
> 478pin. The pack date on the box is 12-22-03 so I'm not sure if I'll
> have have a problem finding a motherboard that will support it. I
> appreciate any help.

This should do ya:

http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productdetails.asp?submit=&item=13-135-167&ATT=Motherboards&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch

$39.49 and free shipping. The company is good, too.