Help picking out a 1440p or 4k monitor

TurtleAlex

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
Hello everyone! Ive noticed that my thread has not been answered and informed that i should put some more detail into it, so here goes nothing. I am thinking about building a pc and know most of the parts i want but i have no idea which monitor to get. Im pretty sure i will get a 1070 and want to know of a decent monitor 1440p or even 4k moniter to get for some light to moderate gaming and watching movies. Im thinking of getting a 27 inch display but do not know where to start. Ive owned an imac with a 1440p 27 inch display up until now and would like a better picture but do not know good prices/brands/monitors. Any recommendations and advice would be much appreciated. Good day.

Solution
Your GTX 1070 will be fine with 1440p [and get you through at 4k also]. There aren't many cards better, and none "much better". 1440p monitors [and 4k for that matter] have been available since well before the 10xx generation cards. So I don't think you will have any issues. Also, you say light to moderate gaming. Which might indicate that your realistic about settings. Plus your point of reference is an iMac.

Okay, so down to monitor choice. I'm not going to give you a model, but a few extra snippets to what you have already.

1. I consider 1080p dead. So your right to think 1440p or 4k for a next monitor. Monitors tend to be kept far longer than graphics cards so you don't want to waste your money on a 1080p from now on. Particularly...

Deathbox

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
I would like to urge you to take some time and do ample research, example -----> take a look at bench marks and comparisons, by doing this you'll quickly learn a few things helping you make your own decisions. The best piece of advice I can give you is not to rush , when it comes to set ups like these they are pricey and can be quite emotional to many of us who take their rigs quite seriously. Once again I urge you to take your time and make the right choices by doing this, you will become well versed in the subject at hand and rarely ever regret a bad choice because of some random bad advice (trust me I've been there), well that's my two cents and possibly the best advice you could get on here take it or leave it that's all up you my friend.

nmb255

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Your GTX 1070 will be fine with 1440p [and get you through at 4k also]. There aren't many cards better, and none "much better". 1440p monitors [and 4k for that matter] have been available since well before the 10xx generation cards. So I don't think you will have any issues. Also, you say light to moderate gaming. Which might indicate that your realistic about settings. Plus your point of reference is an iMac.

Okay, so down to monitor choice. I'm not going to give you a model, but a few extra snippets to what you have already.

1. I consider 1080p dead. So your right to think 1440p or 4k for a next monitor. Monitors tend to be kept far longer than graphics cards so you don't want to waste your money on a 1080p from now on. Particularly when you have graphics horsepower of a 10 series card.
2. Refresh Rate can be a far more valuable resource than pixels. A 30hrz 4K monitor is a bad choice, unless all you care about is that you have all those dots that aren't updating very often. You want to aim towards 100hrz refresh rates if you can. Someone with more knowledge than me about the technical and market conditions will be able to say if 100hrz 4K exists or not yet.
3. If you want to get more than 1080p and not quite 4k then consider an ultra wide 3440x1440 screen. A GTX 1070 will have no problem with that resolution a great refresh rates too. My 980ti doesn't struggle with such a monitor.

So I would recommend a 21:9 over a 16:9 screen if budget can run to it. If it can't then I would recommend a 1440p 16:9 over a 4k 16:9.

Solution