Help picking out a graphics card for an old system

veclan

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015
Hello, so I recently built a new computer because my old ones graphics card went to heaven. I would like to give my old system to my grandfather(should be enough for his needs) and I need a replacement graphics card. I could use some help with picking a cheap card for office uses(word, email, browsing). The specs were Core 2 duo e6600, MSI N1996(thats what it says on the mobo, i think that is the model number), I believe its PCIE slot? Old graphics card was ati radeon 4870 1gb and i bought him a ssd to keep it a little bit faster which was perfect since he doesnt really need all the space from an HDD. I think the motherboard doesn't have integrated graphics, there is this connector on the I/O which i thought was for graphics http://imgur.com/SGm6mDy , but im not sure.

TL;DR Need help with picking a graphics card for office uses for an old system, would like to buy a used one for under 50 euros

Sunehildeep

Reputable
Sep 9, 2015

Hi veclan.i know the best gpu for it. the best gpu that will run on it is zotac nvidia geforce 8400 gs . its the best card for it and it have a very low cost. this gpu is very good for gaming also without lags and suttering just smooth gameplay. i experienced 5 high end gpus but the most gpu which had smoothest and lagfree gameplay was zotac nvidia geforce 8400 gs gpu. so i would recommend it. it is the bestest gpu for tese specs.

veclan

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015
Hey thanks for the answer but I don't need a card for gaming, just for office uses, so basicly any card will do. I just want to pick a card that will go with the mobo so i don't buy a wrong one.

Sunehildeep

Reputable
Sep 9, 2015

yeah it is perfect for office uses and for gaming both.its a fully perfect gpu for these both purposes

ErikVinoya

Honorable
May 11, 2014
I think you can't get any more basic than an NVidia GT 210 (my programming work PC uses that, mainly just for the extra vga port). If you can't find that anymore, a GT 630 should be more than enough for your needs.

Sunehildeep

Reputable
Sep 9, 2015

NVidia GT 210 is a very bad gpu. i used it and it overheats a lot also dont go for that gpu zotac nvidia geforce 8400 gs is perfect

ErikVinoya

Honorable
May 11, 2014

Well you may be using it for gaming, which is indeed bad. OP has made it clear that he's not using it for gaming, which shouldn't cause any unnecessary heating. Like I said, I use that for my work PC, running 8-10 hours straight per day on a dual monitor setup. No heat issues unless you force it to game

Sunehildeep

Reputable
Sep 9, 2015

No I dont use it for gaming.it stays at about 67 c when pc is stationery.it is bad.i used that and it sparked and my gpu went to heavens

ErikVinoya

Honorable
May 11, 2014

67C is a safe temp even for that low end GPU. Overheating does not cause sparks, electrical shorts do, so you may be doing something wrong elsewhere.

Sunehildeep

Reputable
Sep 9, 2015

that ports are of gpu. i telling you zotac nvidia geforce 8400 gs is the best choice. nvidia gt 610 is a bad gpu i have used it.it lasted only for a moth and it does not have any fan on it instead zotac nvidia geforce 8400 gs have fans on it and the temp its have is only between 20c-30c.see how much difference in temps of these 2 gpu's.where is 68 c and where is 20c-30c.so your choice.but is recommend you zotac nvidia geforce 8400 gs gpu.

ErikVinoya

Honorable
May 11, 2014

Since you'll be using a discreet GPU anyway, you can use the VGA port of the card instead of the one in the motherboard's IO.
Btw, that's a 9-pin serial port, used for peripherals, not something for graphics.

Sunehildeep

Reputable
Sep 9, 2015

yes its a serial port i didn't examined the image carefully.my wrong.i apologise for it.