[SOLVED] Help picking out ram for friend's computer

CrusadingKnight

Honorable
Apr 4, 2015
TLDR: Friend wants 32gb of ram (Preferably 2x16gb sticks) for an I5 8600k CPU and a Gigabyte Z370P D3 Mobo. Price range preference is ~$200 but can be adjusted. What should he pick?

I have a friend who owns a computer he built that currently has 8gb of ram. He want's to upgrade to 32 gb of ram (Preferable 2x16GB sticks unless there's a reason we should pick something else.) and I was wondering if someone could direct me to some that would work well for him. He has an I5 8600k CPU and a Gigabyte Z370P D3 Motherboard. I'm asking you guys since I am quite unfamiliar with intel CPUs and I know they aren't as reliant on speed as AMD, so I don't really know how to balance out which speed ram/CL to select. Also, is there resources or ways to verify that you would be able to run ram at the full speed unless you just happen to cross a review of an individual who confirmed they were able to run at full speed with the same CPU/Mobo? I'm asking this because my ram, I was only able to get up to 3000MHz of the 3200MHz while remaining stable on my AMD CPU (At least from the inbuilt XMP profiles for my Motherboard Not concerned about this, just using it as an example)

Price range is flexible, but would prefer in the sub $200 territory.

Thanks so much for any input/help!

His Computer Specs:
CPU: Intel I5 8600k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370P D3
Ram: Ballistix Sport 6GB DDR4 Ram 2666MHz
SSD/HDD: Adata SU800 (128GB) + Seagate BarraCuda (2TB)
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PSU: EVGA 500 BQ 80+

Last edited: