Question Help Please, Can SDRAM be used in Server Board asking for UDIMM?

Jun 3, 2020
Hi Guys, I'm hoping to get a straight answer as the place I bought the ram and mobo off is doing my head in.

I purchased an Intel Server Board M10JNP2SB as per link below. It is specifiying UDIMM ram
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/197377/intel-server-board-m10jnp2sb.html

I then perhaps foolishly purchased 4 x 16gb of the following SDRAM Kingston sticks
https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KSM26RD8_16MEI.pdf

Will the Kingston ram work in the server board or should I just swallow my pride and return it for Unbuffered UDIMM?

I have read conflicting things in my research. All straight answers will be greatly appreciated.

So Intel says it won't work. But xeons typically support rdimms.

Since you already have them, I would try them. There's a chance they will work and you will be the one discovering that rdimms work perfectly fine.

I accidentally discovered that LRDIMMs work on the HP z420. Not only that, but 32GB modules are support so instead of the 32GB that HP says is supported, a whopping 256GB is supported via LRDIMMs that I memtested myself. I couldn't believe my eyes, but there it was.

Jun 3, 2020
Hi Samir,

Thanks heaps for replying.

So Intel says it won't work. But xeons typically support rdimms.

Since you already have them, I would try them. There's a chance they will work and you will be the one discovering that rdimms work perfectly fine.
If I do try them and they don't work it will cost me a 15% re-stocking fee which would be over $130 plus I don't have the time to have the server down to get wait for ram that will work. I am trying to work out if they will most definitely be compatible. I'm having trouble working out why thy would only support unbuffered ram on a server and not registered for better reliability in a critical environment.

Yeah, that's a tough spot. I searched to try to find anyone with any experience with the board and rdimms and there's nothing out there. :( Without someone's firsthand experience there would be no way to know. I completely agree with you about why it wouldn't work in theory. The only idea I can think of is that board is designed more like a desktop board so they only modified the bios to accept xeons and left it at that.

Bottom line is that if that's the risk, I would just return it and get the ones you need. Someone else some day will find out the truth.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS