[SOLVED] Help please. Does it look like damaged textolite?

Spacekeleton

Commendable
Jan 30, 2022
Hello, I was cleaning my PC from dust and noticed this thing that looks like some traces of liquid around 2 standoff screws on the motherboard (in the first pic you can see it is a little darker color to the left of the screw).
I also consider it may be damaged textolite caused by pressure, I was connecting GPU power cables and heard a click before they were plugged in fully, so I am not sure.
I also live in Ukraine and had a russian rocket hit a mall nearby which knocked out one of my windows (which are pretty old and don't need much force to be knocked out) but the PC itself was behid the wall and it's doubtful that it could receive enough force to be damaged that way.
Or is it sometimes normal to look like that? Or, if you can tell it is damaged, can I leave it be like that? I'm already too stressed out to disassemble whole PC right now and anyway I cannot return any parts due to our 'situation' in country.

Solution
It looks like nothing more than a shadow to me...but then I can't tell much of anything about it from the picture. It's not abnormal to have shading variances on the surface of a circuit board due to the inner copper layers that have been etched away in manufacture interrupting and reflecting light differently. I'd not be much worried to use it as it is.

You could power it up, if it works normally then move it about carefully to see if anything is intermittent. But I doubt anything's wrong.
It looks like nothing more than a shadow to me...but then I can't tell much of anything about it from the picture. It's not abnormal to have shading variances on the surface of a circuit board due to the inner copper layers that have been etched away in manufacture interrupting and reflecting light differently. I'd not be much worried to use it as it is.

You could power it up, if it works normally then move it about carefully to see if anything is intermittent. But I doubt anything's wrong.

Solution
Someone ate pizza before placing and screwing in the screws. ;)
Seriously, the normal oils from our skin (not necessarily from a pizza meal) do easily show up on PCBs. If that's what it is it's nothing to worry about. I'm not sure what you heard or how loud it was but PCBs will flex and make small popping/cracking sounds when they do. This is also normal.

Stay safe.

Spacekeleton

Commendable
Jan 30, 2022

I am using the PC for 2 weeks already without any problems and moved it a bit already before.

Reactions: alceryes

Spacekeleton

Commendable
Jan 30, 2022
Seriously, the normal oils from our skin (not necessarily from a pizza meal) do easily show up on PCBs.
I am not even sure if it's traces of oil, it may be microbulge relief. But even in that case I doubt it was caused by motherboard weight itself, and nothing bad will happen if I leave it like it is. And it's total 9 standoffs which hold it overall so I think it's nothing dangerous even in the worst case with 1-2 of them.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I wouldn't worry about it either.

As long as system is running smoothly means motherboard and all components conencted to it are working.

As said above, if the PCB flexes a bit I wouldn't worry when it's held in place with 9 standoffs.

Hope all goes well.

jag_man653

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
It might be a leaky capacitor. Do a Google search. But, as others have said if it still works, carry on. If it fails, you might be able to find someone who can repair it.

My heart goes out to you as that stupid war goes on.