Help please! - Enter gaming PC for £700

Jacob_107

Reputable
Aug 14, 2016
Hello there I'm deciding to build an enter gaming PC with my budget of £700. Currently for now I created an estimate what my PC could contain using PcPartPicker however it went a bit over my budget up to £750. I would like to ask for any suggestions how I could lower the price. I could go for a cheaper PSU but that is the only thing I'm actually worried about choosing and deciding on. Also I'm not sure if I should stay at HDD for now or invest a bit more into SSD or I can also add an extra SSD whenever I wish, the prices should also drop a bit in a year or 2. The other thing I would like to ask is the white case. All my components are in the black mode so would it not matter if the components will be black and the case white? I you have any personal experience.. let me know, thank you. My current build guide: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Camprlik/saved/y4zYJx

Solution
The reason I suggest more than 120gb is twofold.

1. Many things go by default to the "C" drive. It is very easy to fill it up
When a ssd nears 90% full you will start losing update performance and lose longevity.

2. You buy a ssd for the performance benefits so the more everyday apps you put there, the more you get out of it.

Today, I would not buy anything but Samsung evo for performance and reliability.
If you find the budget 750 EVO at an attractive price in a larger size, that is ok. A larger ssd performs better.

Also, I might warn you off of the ASRock H170M-ITX/ac motherboard.
I am using a similar one, the Z97M-ITX/ac.
The wifi is implemented with a card on the motherboard to which you need to attach two small antenna...
A very nice build.
You can buy a cheaper H110 based motherboard like this:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/NCFXsY/asus-h110i-plus-mini-itx-lga1151-motherboard-h110i-plus
There are very few features of greater motherboards that will be useful to you.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1151

I will never again build without a ssd for the "C" drive. It makes everything you do much quicker.
120gb is minimum, it will hold the os and a handful of games. If you can go 240gb, or 500gb you may never need a hard drive.

I would defer on the hard drive unless you need to store large files such as video's.
It is easy to add a hard drive later.
Samsung EVO is a good choice for performance and reliability.

Jacob_107

Reputable
Aug 14, 2016

Thank you for a quick response. I based my build guide on previous builds made by famous YouTubers such as TechSource who have enought experience about PC parts and also include benchmarks. I personally think I would stay at the mb I currently included in my build because it has features such as built in WiFi which I will definitelly use instead of getting cable through 2 rooms, even if the Internet speed may be not as good as if I would use a cable still shouldn't be bad if it is capable of running 5GHz Internet frequency. Also mb isn't the part which I would excahnge in couple of years, whereas I will invest more into it and use a cheaper CPU and later on exchange it for a better CPU than getting new mb if that makes sense.

Do you think this would do it? https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/DFgPxr/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz750120bw According to Google, Windows 10 only takes max of 20 GB so those 100 spare GB would be enough for games or even any other documents. Anyway all my other stuff I either save on Google Drive/OneDrive or 1T external drive.

Btw what do you think about the monitor, PSU and keyboard? Those are the things I'm not too sure about.

The reason I suggest more than 120gb is twofold.

1. Many things go by default to the "C" drive. It is very easy to fill it up
When a ssd nears 90% full you will start losing update performance and lose longevity.

2. You buy a ssd for the performance benefits so the more everyday apps you put there, the more you get out of it.

Today, I would not buy anything but Samsung evo for performance and reliability.
If you find the budget 750 EVO at an attractive price in a larger size, that is ok. A larger ssd performs better.

Also, I might warn you off of the ASRock H170M-ITX/ac motherboard.
I am using a similar one, the Z97M-ITX/ac.
The wifi is implemented with a card on the motherboard to which you need to attach two small antenna wires.
I was unsuccessful in doing that, the wires did not want to clip on to the card.
It was a moot point to me firstly because wifi was not supported in 32 bit which I needed, and secondly I was using an Ethernet connection anyway.

You might find that a you can expand your motherboard options by using a USB dongle. Those with antennas are likely to be stronger.

Seasonic psu is as good as there is.
Monitor and keyboard I have not used.

Solution

Jacob_107

Reputable
Aug 14, 2016

Okay, it kind of makes sense that if you fill up those 120GB of your storage it won't perform as well so if I would go for SSD I should probably chose at least the 240GB ones. However I heard something about M.2 SSDs but I have absolutelly no idea what are those for. Do you know anything about those? I hope the instalation of the antenas and the WiFi card won't be as hard otherwise I will just buy one of those USB Wireless adapters for few bucks in the worst case. Btw thanks so much now I have a bit clearer idea about storage and also mb. However I'm a bit woried about the performance, if it will be worth buying the i3-6100 with only 2 cores and GTX 1050Ti 4GB. I don't know if you have any personal experience of those or not but if yes please give me a better idea about those or any personal thoughts from your own experience etc. I wanted to build my build in order to switch from laptop's lower performance to a bit powerful machine however as I said it's only an enter gaming build. I was going to use it for light gaming such as CSGO, Rust etc. and maybe do some experiments on it such as programming as I'm studying computing. Thanks again.

m.2 is a size format. About the size and shape of a stick of gum. Tiny.
Some m.2 devices work just like sata.
On a motherboard there may be a space for a m.2 device.
If the interface is x2 or x4 some m.2 devices can operate sequentially at 2x or 4x sata speeds.
Sounds great for benchmarks, but, in practice it is the small rndom access times that are most important

On balance, I would stick with a more flexible 2.5" standard sata ssd.

Jacob_107

Reputable
Aug 14, 2016

Well I'm not really looking to build anything huge but if you could suggest me a nice cheap case and a motherboard with WiFi built in than I would take it otherwise you would have to give me much better and clear idea what is the difference between mini IXT and mATX. However I haven't seen any mATX mb with WiFi built in, but it supports crossfire which would be a nice feature. Also could you pair the GTX 1050Ti with any additional GPU or does the GPU need to have a special feature built in?? Thank you for your opinion.