Help Please Graphic card Problem

I have problem with my card ATI HP have been useless in trying to help me.
The problem is My games I play all crash after 2-5 minutes of play . the
monitor goes black and quickly says no signal but the sound keeps playing
sometimes looping some times it continues but then the computer reboots and
says it has recovered from a serious era and says ATI driver problem but
there is no solution.

Now this has just started happening in the past 3 days all of the games ran
just fine with no problem . I have not installed any new hardware no new
software. my drivers are current. this only happens with the games... I have
run every vid test and they show no problems.

Can this be a bad card? it is less then one year?!

Thanks in Advance!

Bill

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:39:15 -0500, "Sweet Home Alabama"
<caesar@nospamcharter.net> wrote:

>I have problem with my card ATI HP have been useless in trying to help me.
>The problem is My games I play all crash after 2-5 minutes of play . the
>monitor goes black and quickly says no signal but the sound keeps playing
>sometimes looping some times it continues but then the computer reboots and
>says it has recovered from a serious era and says ATI driver problem but
>there is no solution.
>
>Now this has just started happening in the past 3 days all of the games ran
>just fine with no problem . I have not installed any new hardware no new
>software. my drivers are current. this only happens with the games... I have
>run every vid test and they show no problems.
>
>Can this be a bad card? it is less then one year?!
>
>Thanks in Advance!
>
>Bill

Heat?
Could be a bad card, my 9800 pro died after 6 months, ram chips were
cooking when playing games....reference coolers my arse, those chips
need something more I tells ya!

-
steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org
-

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:39:15 -0500, "Sweet Home Alabama"
<caesar@nospamcharter.net> wrote:

>I have problem with my card ATI HP have been useless in trying to help me.
>The problem is My games I play all crash after 2-5 minutes of play . the
>monitor goes black and quickly says no signal but the sound keeps playing
>sometimes looping some times it continues but then the computer reboots and
>says it has recovered from a serious era and says ATI driver problem but
>there is no solution.
>
>Now this has just started happening in the past 3 days all of the games ran
>just fine with no problem . I have not installed any new hardware no new
>software. my drivers are current. this only happens with the games... I have
>run every vid test and they show no problems.
>
>Can this be a bad card? it is less then one year?!
>
>Thanks in Advance!
>
>Bill

You dont say what card it is - but if if half decent then it will have
a fan to keep it cool - my guess would be that the fan has failed.

Games stress a graphics card more than other things and so will show
up any problems with cooling quicker than anything.

Open her up and check the fan. You can get replacement graphics card
fans - but if under warrenty - get a replacement.

HTH
Cheers

"Sweet Home Alabama" <caesar@nospamcharter.net> wrote in message
>I have problem with my card ATI HP have been useless in trying to help me.
> The problem is My games I play all crash after 2-5 minutes of play . the
> monitor goes black and quickly says no signal but the sound keeps playing
> sometimes looping some times it continues but then the computer reboots
> and
> says it has recovered from a serious era and says ATI driver problem but
> there is no solution.

My 9800 Pro card started doing that and the system gave me the same message.
to cut the long of it short, I found that the card was overheating. yes the
fan was running the whole time. just not enough cooling. There is a
setting in the drivers that forces the system to reset if the GPU crashes
(like from heat). Mine was doing that and on restart Windows gave me the
error message and the follow up explaining it was a 'video card driver
error'. even with the side off and a fan blowing fresh air right on the
card, it just got worse. I put the FX5900 back in.
McG.

> Now this has just started happening in the past 3 days all of the games
> ran
> just fine with no problem . I have not installed any new hardware no new
> software. my drivers are current. this only happens with the games... I
> have
> run every vid test and they show no problems.
>
> Can this be a bad card? it is less then one year?!
>
> Thanks in Advance!
>
> Bill

Well it sure was the I replaced it with a new ati 700 and of course it works
great..

But what pisses me off is I bought the computer directly from HP less then a
year ago with the ati 600 and when I replaced the card the fan was half the
size of the new store bought one and it said nothing about ATI on it I
wonder if I have any recourse with HP?

Thanks for your suggestions and help!

Regards

Caesar

> "Sweet Home Alabama" <caesar@nospamcharter.net> wrote in message
>>I have problem with my card ATI HP have been useless in trying to help me.
>> The problem is My games I play all crash after 2-5 minutes of play . the
>> monitor goes black and quickly says no signal but the sound keeps playing
>> sometimes looping some times it continues but then the computer reboots
>> and
>> says it has recovered from a serious era and says ATI driver problem but
>> there is no solution.
>
> My 9800 Pro card started doing that and the system gave me the same
> message. to cut the long of it short, I found that the card was
> overheating. yes the fan was running the whole time. just not enough
> cooling. There is a setting in the drivers that forces the system to
> reset if the GPU crashes (like from heat). Mine was doing that and on
> restart Windows gave me the error message and the follow up explaining it
> was a 'video card driver error'. even with the side off and a fan
> blowing fresh air right on the card, it just got worse. I put the FX5900
> back in.
> McG.
>

>> Now this has just started happening in the past 3 days all of the games
>> ran
>> just fine with no problem . I have not installed any new hardware no new
>> software. my drivers are current. this only happens with the games... I
>> have
>> run every vid test and they show no problems.
>>
>> Can this be a bad card? it is less then one year?!
>>
>> Thanks in Advance!
>>
>> Bill

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:39:15 -0500, "Sweet Home Alabama"
<caesar@nospamcharter.net> wrote:

>I have problem with my card ATI HP have been useless in trying to help me.
>The problem is My games I play all crash after 2-5 minutes of play . the
>monitor goes black and quickly says no signal but the sound keeps playing
>sometimes looping some times it continues but then the computer reboots and
>says it has recovered from a serious era and says ATI driver problem but
>there is no solution.
>
>Now this has just started happening in the past 3 days all of the games ran
>just fine with no problem . I have not installed any new hardware no new
>software. my drivers are current. this only happens with the games... I have
>run every vid test and they show no problems.
>
>Can this be a bad card? it is less then one year?!
>
>Thanks in Advance!
>
>Bill

you using the Catalyst drivers 5.8?.. same thing was happening to me
on HL2 when i was using those drivers, just rollback to your previous
driver version and everything should be fine.. worked for me.

toadie

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Ironside wrote:

> Make sure your AGP aperture (bios setting) is at least 64 Mb. 128 Mb is
> better but you need at least a gig of RAM for 128.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look for those settings in my BIOS the
next time I reboot.

"Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have no problems w/Cat 5.8 and my 9800 Pro. I'm using a 512MB AGP
>aperture size setting (I've got 2GB of RAM).

512 is overkill. No need for more than 128.

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Maybe you're right. I've heard 256MB has some advantages w/certain games,
but never 512MB. I'm probably wasting quite a bit of memory for the lookup
table.

--
there is no .sig
"Ironside" <old_ironside@SPAMREALLYSUXhotmail.com.REMOVECAPSTOREPLY> wrote