Help Please - Home Network / Printer Sharing?

JJ2012

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Hi

I desperately need some help please in very easy to understand tech language!

I have a desktop and laptop and have wireless internet setup on both. The router is in another room connected to someone else's computer by an ethernet cable. I do not share any files with this main computer only internet. I want to be able to use my printers which are in my room so that the laptop can access them wireless. I am looking at buying a new laser printer too.

So, what I need to know is do I need to use the router to set up a Home Network just on my computer and Laptop without the router connected computer having access to these machines? Also do I need the router to use the printers wireless? I have not tried to set up a Home network before so need really easy step by step instructions if I have to access the router in order that I don't mess up the internet. I can access the router but cannot have anything permanently connected by wires.

What would be the solution please - if any?

tomatthe

Distinguished
Generally you would just put the wireless network info into the printer which would get it online. Then you would need to run the printer software on your laptop and desktop and it should be able to see the printer, and both should be able to print to it wirelessly.

The other persons desktop would also be able to print since its on the same network, but hopefully that would not be a big issue. If you never mentioned you got a new printer they wouldn't really even know to look for it, and likely it wouldn't be a problem.

Almost all routers setup lan/wifi on the same subnet, so the desktop even though its on lan and your machines are on wifi is almost certainly on the same network.

Basically get the printer hook it to wifi, setup on your machines and be done with it.

JJ2012

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

Thank You. Does this mean I just need to get a wifi printer?

Also, does this also mean I can set up a Network between my Laptop and Desktop so that I can share files between them? If so, do I need to do anything on the computer where the router is attached or do I just do stuff on my machines? If so is it just the setting up a Home Network thing? :??:

tomatthe

Distinguished
Yes, you just need to get a wifi printer.

Your laptop and desktop should be able to share files with each other without needing to make any changes on the desktop connected to the router.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/tech-tips-and-tricks/how-to-share-files-between-computers.html

I didn't read that, but it was from a quick google search on sharing files between machines. There are a few different way to go about doing that, so you many wanna read a few articles before deciding which way you want to go. Personally I just like a simple file share rather then using homegroups and all that.