Help please: making stealth drives

Patchworkblue

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
Howdy all - I am interested in 'stealthing' my drives, i.e., making them appear to not be drives at all, looking just like the other bay bezels on my case. I have a Chenbro Xpider (blue) and will need to stealth two or more optical drives. Any suggestions, or links to tutorials? Thanks.

Women--can't live with them, can't have heterosexual same-species intercourse without them.

dstell

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I have seen some modify the bezels and glue them to CD/DVD drives on Xpiders to do this. Of course this is going to involve a lot of cutting and modification of the bezels to make this work.

Very difficult work and hard to acheive good results, but possible.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That sounds like a strange concept. It sounds like it'd require an awful lot of custom cutting and maybe even epoxy or goodness knows what. I can't offer any practical advice, but I have to say that I'm interested in hearing more. :)

<pre><b><font color=red>I've always wondered why people liken the taste of blood to copper.
It tastes much more like iron to me.
<- :evil: - :evil: - :evil: - :evil: - :evil: -></font color=red></b></pre><p>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you should be able to take the existing bezel off the drive and glue the case cover to it. you have to remove the clips from the case cover though. and will probly have to do some shaving off the sides to make sure it fits. some cheap drives have weak cd trays and might sag with the extra weight.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Easy, you simply break the ears off a bay cover and tape it to the top of the tray. Pushing in on the right bottom corner of the cover will then push the eject button.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Patchworkblue

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
WOW It's been a long time since I made this post...I cam to case mods to ask another question, but I'll give an update if anyone is interested...
Stealthing the drives on my Xpider was indeed extremely difficult, more so than the average case, because the bezels on this case stick out past the openings for the bays themselves, which meant that I had to find a way to attach the bezels in a manner that still allowed me to remove them whenever I wanted to remove the front of my case.
So...you know those little plastic things that come with pre-fab furniture that you press in the holes to cover up screws and stuff? Well, I took a blade and separated the little plastic nubs, and was able to plug two of them together - they fit like Legos. Then it was a matter of gluing a couple to the bezel and a couple to the optical drive. Now, the bezels pop on and pop off, no fuss!
The other practical obstacle with the Xpider is that you can't slide an optical drive in from the front, their drive bays are cut in ovals instead of rectangles. If anyone else has spent two days carefully expanding these bays with an exacto, then I give you credit for your patience.
Anyways, it was a lot of work, but it was worth it - the result is beautiful.

EDIT: Crap, I apologize if anyone came here thinking I still needed help, wish I could retitle the original post 'update'.

Women--can't live with them, can't have heterosexual same-species intercourse without them.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by patchworkblue on 04/15/05 06:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Patchworkblue

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
Hmmm, I don't. I have not a digital camera, either. Tell ya what though, I'm lan-ing at a friend's this weekend; if you're interested, I'll snap some photos w/his digital cam, and post them.

Women--can't live with them, can't have heterosexual same-species intercourse without them.

TRENDING THREADS