[SOLVED] Help please! Maximus XIII hero 11700kf

Jdye34

Commendable
Apr 15, 2019
Afternoon. Hopefully someone can help me out.

Been setting up my 11700KF over the past few days on a M13H board (noctua nh-d15). Have previously overclocked plenty on AM3+ and lga1151 platforms, however have decided to roll with the boost algorithms this time due to the limited oc capabilities of these chips.

Have had good luck so far, will try to give as much detail as possible. Rather than setting an adaptive voltage I have been trying to optimize the ASUS settings as much as poss.

Enabled xmp/disabled avx512(don't use it)
Using Multi core enhancement and unlocking all power limits I managed to get an all core boost of 4.9ghz, however VCore peaked up to 1.54v and gave massively poor temperatures.

Switching SVID behaviour gave me vastly better voltages. Now boosting to 4.9 all core at a much more reasonable voltage (c.1.4v).
Everything seems stable max temps during torture tests are around 75c

My questions are :

1) The turbo boost 3 spec for the CPU is 5ghz. Max ratio is showing at 5ghz in bios. Why is the all core boost only reaching 4.9ghz? I figured as the Asus settings have bypassed the turbo 2 core limit and boosted all core they would reach 5ghz automatically?

2) is there any negatives to having AVX512 turned off? I don't crunch numbers,only general pc work, and modern games.

3) can I mess with cache ratio and voltage while running speedstep/power saving features? What sort of marginal gains does overclocking cache on 11th gen make?

Thank you very much for your help.

Solution
BIOS defaults do not work well with these chips.
leaving Turbo options and voltages set to auto or defaults may get you up to 5GHz+ but temperatures can be insane with way too much voltage.
mine was reaching 1.58v with optimized defaults in place.

currently have my 11770K @ 5.0GHz all core with 1.32v and perfectly stable.
idles ~30°C, browsing ~35-40°, AAA gaming ~52-58°, stressing never passes 70°.

MCE, TVB, other auto-clock/boost options disabled.
C-States / stepping enabled.
AVX2 @ -1, AVX512 @ -3.
is there any negatives to having AVX512 turned off?
any applications that make use of it regularly will take significantly longer to perform.
What sort of marginal gains does overclocking cache on 11th gen make?
haven't...
BIOS defaults do not work well with these chips.
leaving Turbo options and voltages set to auto or defaults may get you up to 5GHz+ but temperatures can be insane with way too much voltage.
mine was reaching 1.58v with optimized defaults in place.

currently have my 11770K @ 5.0GHz all core with 1.32v and perfectly stable.
idles ~30°C, browsing ~35-40°, AAA gaming ~52-58°, stressing never passes 70°.

MCE, TVB, other auto-clock/boost options disabled.
C-States / stepping enabled.
AVX2 @ -1, AVX512 @ -3.
is there any negatives to having AVX512 turned off?
any applications that make use of it regularly will take significantly longer to perform.
What sort of marginal gains does overclocking cache on 11th gen make?
haven't read about any or noticed any improvements at all when i fooled with it.
i believe it is already sufficient for this set up.

Solution

Jdye34

Commendable
Apr 15, 2019
Cheers. That's a shame because the defaults are working well currently once I changed the SVID behaviour, at first the voltages were too high but once I editted that it sorted it.

Seems like I may have to find a solid all core overclock then. Don't think I'm going to get away with 1.32, non avx recommendation from Asus is like 1.45!!!

Found a good guide on using adaptive voltage to reapply the power saving settings once a solid overclock has been found, just thought I might get away with using ASUS's defaults a bit more.

Anyone got a clue why I'm not getting a single core boost up to 5?believe current/cooling are up to scratch, what's the temperature limit for Turbo 3? And what are ASUS' default MCE settings?
(Can probably find that on Google.... Off I go)

Anyone got a clue why I'm not getting a single core boost up to 5?
?, strange.
first load mine boosted straight to 5GHz.

allowing their AI learning to run for a week or so it starting reaching up to 5.4GHz.
but also was reaching ~60°C while basic browsing.

i get it that these chips can take the voltage and the heat but does ASUS really think we all want to be sitting next to a heater?

Jdye34

Commendable
Apr 15, 2019
I don't mind too much, keeps the oil costs down :)
Will have to have a play with some of the settings then! I thought the Asus MCE should of put me at 5ghz boost, dunno what's going on there. Will have to trawl through the bios.