Help please - monitor shuts off, keyboard and mouse stop working

sogomogo

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Hey,

I'm having a frustrating problem with my new PC that I just built. While running programs that require a lot of processing power (Counter strike, Dota, installing new programs, etc.) my monitor will suddenly shut off and the keyboard and mouse stop working. The computer stays on, LEDs stay on, and fans keep blowing, but the computer is completely unresponsive. In order to get the computer working again I have to completely restart it. My problem is similar to this thread "http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/279865-31-help-monitor-shuts-keyboard-mouse-stop-working" but i am using motherboard's built in graphic card.

I'd really appreciate any help.

Asus P5G41T-mlx motherboard
Intel Core2Duo E7500 processor
80 GB Harddrive
2Gb Ram
Umax 500W powersupply

Solution
So I realized that it could also be your PSU, I saw that you're using a Umax PSU? I haven't heard of it before - and I couldn't find it in this PSU brand tier list.

It could possibly be that the PSU is slowly dying, or isn't providing sufficient constant power to your PC. Don't use this PSU, don't trust the brand. Also, if may have been damaging your components slowly.

It's not even on this list >>> http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Don't use this Umax brand. Do you have a spare PSU? I would suggest investing in a reputable PSU brand like Corsair, Seasonic, Antec.

linckmichael

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
Well there you go, you may have answered it yourself - it may be very possible that your motherboard's built in graphic card isn't powerful enough to handle games like Counterstrike and Dota.

If the game initially runs okay for the first coupe of minutes, then shuts off - then I'm pretty sure it's cause the integrated card isn't powerful enough. Try borrowing a graphics card that would pair with your CPU.

sogomogo

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

Now it hos gotten more severe..now when i start my pc it crashes in 4-5 mins of startup (even i donot start any game or open any application)..sometimes it restart after crashing and upon reaching desktop crashes again..sometimes it is unresponsive after crashing..
I hevent tried using another graphic card..will try and tell you.

linckmichael

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
So I realized that it could also be your PSU, I saw that you're using a Umax PSU? I haven't heard of it before - and I couldn't find it in this PSU brand tier list.

It could possibly be that the PSU is slowly dying, or isn't providing sufficient constant power to your PC. Don't use this PSU, don't trust the brand. Also, if may have been damaging your components slowly.

It's not even on this list >>> http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Don't use this Umax brand. Do you have a spare PSU? I would suggest investing in a reputable PSU brand like Corsair, Seasonic, Antec.

Solution

Mortix02

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015

I have had the exact same problem for a while, then I changed my GPU and my PSU, and one month later, problem appeared again.