Question HELP PLEASE My Monitor is 144 Hz, but doesn't let me go to 144 Hz

daniel.avital62

Commendable
Nov 25, 2018
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-GN246HL-Bbid-24-Inch-Display-x/dp/B00KO4518I

That's my monitor ^^

So basically I would go to NVIDIA Control panel after right clicking my desktop, it will not let me change refresh rate above 60Hz, so I made a custom res, and I made it 144 then my monitor says no input or not supported or something like that and will go black.
I feel like something is restricting my monitor but what is it?
Please help! Thanks!

daniel.avital62

Commendable
Nov 25, 2018
Just to make sure, my monitor has no DisplayPort plugin, HDMI doesn't work with 144HZ, so my only option is DVI, what kind of DVI Cable can I use? Can you send me a link for Amazon or something?

Just to make sure, my monitor has no DisplayPort plugin, HDMI doesn't work with 144HZ, so my only option is DVI, what kind of DVI Cable can I use? Can you send me a link for Amazon or something?

What kind of DisplayPort adapters can I use?

Getting 1080p 144 Hz on a DP to DVI connection requires specialized adapters. You cannot use normal $10 DP to DVI adapters.

You need to use a DUAL-LINK ACTIVE ADAPTER, which usually costs around $80–$100 USD.

Please note, you cannot use just any "active adapter". It must be a DUAL-LINK active adapter. Not all DP to DVI active adapters are Dual-Link.​

Do you have any suggestions for DisplayPort to DVI adapters?

Yes. I have tested the following DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI active adapter. It works up to 144 Hz at 1080p:
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-BIZLINK-DisplayPort-Adapter-Powered/dp/B003XYBA72/

However, be warned that DP to DL-DVI active adapters are not very reliable and should only be considered as a last resort. It is strongly recommended to return the monitor and get one that has an actual DisplayPort input port rather than use these adapters.​

That adapter is really expensive, are there any other options?

None that I'm aware of (as of March 2019), otherwise I would have mentioned them. However, you can usually find the adapter I linked above for cheaper used on eBay. The same adapter is rebranded and sold under several different brands (Dell, Bizlink, Startech, Accell), so shop around for the best price.​

Last edited: