Question ||HELP PLEASE|| PC suddenly experincing FPS lag and Unsure Why!!!!!

Mar 7, 2021
Hello,
Where to Start...
I recently Have Upgraded my CPU and RAM in January to be able to play games like RUST and SQUAD and other triple-A games.
I built this PC for myself back in December of 2019originally it had an AMD Ryzen 3 2200g with Radeon Vega 8 Graphics and 16 GB of 2666mhz RAM and everything else listed in the specs list.
Up until 2 days ago games like RUST and SQUAD were running fine at about 90-100 FPS if not more and had no drops. 2 days ago I got home turned on my PC and Updated my rust and all of the sudden it dropped to about 40-75 FPS and in cluttered areas or action-packed areas it can drop to 20-30 FPS. If needed I can record Gameplay or whatever but I want to understand why it would suddenly play worse than it was before.
I have already uninstalled all my graphics card drivers and reinstalled them updated my BIOS and nothing has worked. I hadn't Installed anything before 2 days ago that could've messed with anything. I just need some help and someone to tell me what to do or help me troubleshoot. If you need more information Please contact me through the places I have listed below.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800x (Stock Cooler)
32GB of 3200mhz RAM (I can't clock my ram at 3200mhz in my bios though because of lack of power.)
ZOTACgaming GeForce Gtx 1660 (Stock Dual Fans)
Kingston 225GB SSD
Seagate 2TB Barracuda HDD
Thermaltake SMART 500w PSU
ASRock Steel Legend B450m am4 Mother Board.

If you can help me Please Email me @ yoshi7827@gmail.com
Or My Discord @ Aarxn#2193
Or Just Respond Here

Last edited:
When you changed cpu and RAM did you change the motherboard?

What exact RAM kit do you have? If 2x16gb is it in the correct slots for dual channel? Running RAM at stock speed and not 3200mhz will noticeably hurt performance.

Did the setup only have problems after changing the cpu and RAM or did it work ok for a while?

What’s the cpu and gpu temperatures when gaming?

Run userbenchmark and share the public link to

Reactions: SagleMeBagle
Mar 7, 2021
When you changed cpu and RAM did you change the motherboard?

What exact RAM kit do you have? If 2x16gb is it in the correct slots for dual channel? Running RAM at stock speed and not 3200mhz will noticeably hurt performance.

Did the setup only have problems after changing the cpu and RAM or did it work ok for a while?

What’s the cpu and gpu temperatures when gaming?

Run userbenchmark and share the public link to

I am Unsure Of CPU Temperatures
GPU Temps can range anywhere from 50 C - 60 C
And stay around there when Gaming

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) ~ [x2]
and Yes theywere in the correct slots 1x 3 or 2 x 4 correct? that was before i had 32gb though

CPU and RAM were fine for awhile

I did not change my Mother Board

Benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40655382

I am Unsure Of CPU Temperatures
GPU Temps can range anywhere from 50 C - 60 C
And stay around there when Gaming

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) ~ [x2]
and Yes theywere in the correct slots 1x 3 or 2 x 4 correct? that was before i had 32gb though

CPU and RAM were fine for awhile

I did not change my Mother Board

Benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40655382

Oh you are mixing 2 kits and using 4 dimms. Take out one of the kits and make sure it’s in slots 2 & 4, not 1 & 2. Then try enabling DOCP at 3200mhz. Mixing kits even the exact same make and model is not guaranteed to work. Also running 4 dimms is more likely to have issues hitting higher speeds.

Try getting the 2x8gb running at 3200mhz and see if that resolves your issues. Also try rerunning userbenchmark.

A program like MSIAfterburner is good for monitoring cpu temperature over time. However looking at the benchmark score I expect temperature is ok.

Mar 7, 2021
Oh you are mixing 2 kits and using 4 dimms. Take out one of the kits and make sure it’s in slots 2 & 4, not 1 & 2. Then try enabling DOCP at 3200mhz. Mixing kits even the exact same make and model is not guaranteed to work. Also running 4 dimms is more likely to have issues hitting higher speeds.

Try getting the 2x8gb running at 3200mhz and see if that resolves your issues. Also try rerunning userbenchmark.

A program like MSIAfterburner is good for monitoring cpu temperature over time. However looking at the benchmark score I expect temperature is ok.
Ok so if I wanted 32gb of ram though i would probably have to buy a 32gb kit yes? Or how would going about that work. So i got this extra kit for no real reason no that im mad just wondering how to go about using 4 dimms if i wanted to or would i need a better mother board or is using 2 dimms just better over all?

and this could be why it ran ok for a little bit and now doesn't?

I will do what you said though and see if it helps

Last edited:
Ok so if I wanted 32gb of ram though i would probably have to buy a 32gb kit yes? Or how would going about that work. So i got this extra kit for no real reason no that im mad just wondering how to go about using 4 dimms if i wanted to or would i need a better mother board or is using 2 dimms just better over all?

and this could be why it ran ok for a little bit and now doesn't?

I will do what you said though and see if it helps
You can try getting the 2 kits to work together at 3200mhz by raising the voltage. The general consensus from what I read is 1.450v is the max safe limit. I currently run my RAM at 1.410v as I have overclocked it from 3200mhz CL16 (rated speed) to 3600mhz CL16. The other thing you can try is increasing the timings or running 2933/3000mhz.

If you want to run 32GB the best solution is using a 32GB kit. There is no guarantee mixing kits will work or if it does work it may not run at rated speeds. Here, see odd man out section https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

Mar 7, 2021
You can try getting the 2 kits to work together at 3200mhz by raising the voltage. The general consensus from what I read is 1.450v is the max safe limit. I currently run my RAM at 1.410v as I have overclocked it from 3200mhz CL16 (rated speed) to 3600mhz CL16. The other thing you can try is increasing the timings or running 2933/3000mhz.

If you want to run 32GB the best solution is using a 32GB kit. There is no guarantee mixing kits will work or if it does work it may not run at rated speeds. Here, see odd man out section https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/
Do you know if I could tell if CPU-Z would show if the timing on my ram is off or? Just wondering, The 2 kits work together (As in the PC registers them as working and it doens't crash or have issues booting) but if this is what is causing lag idk why it hadn't before hand. I rebuilt it Replaced the cpu and ram stick in January and they were working fine up until the beginning of march and i thought it might have been my graphics card that was causing problems and i went through everything and it seemed to be working as expected (According to Userbenchmark etc.) It was only just this weekend that it started acting up which is why i am confused why i didn't have issues before. I'm currently out working atm but when i get home ill try and see if using one kit clocked at 3200mhz will work but i don't get how this would've not been an issue before.

Also I have tried to get the 2 kits both running at 3200mhz but it doesn't allow me too it shows the voltage needed I a red color. I can take pictures when I get home.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021

Im running into an issue here

View: http://imgur.com/a/Sc7SI3l