[SOLVED] Help Please! Pcie (sata adapter) 2mm away from GPU fan????

Loz M 1985

Prominent
May 18, 2020
hfiBI7.jpg
Hi need some help please

currently working on a pc build Q87 motherboard with RX580 .

my GPU when installed is 2 to 3mm away from my sata pcie adapter

the GPU fan spins freely

The pciex1 sata adapter covers about one quarter of the GPU fan

Will this cause excessive heat build up on the GPU and sata adapter?

Is this safe to use like this?

All my other sata ports on mobo are in use

and my pcie x4 is used for nvme ssd
Please see photo

any advice on this appreciated
Thanks

loz
uz39gY.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks yeah I’ll just test it out

my only real worry is if the suction from the GPU fan is so strong that it’s enough to pull the pcie sata adapter card by 2mm into the fan resulting in damaging the fan (hope this doesn’t happen as the sata card is kinda flimsy and may move

What you think or am I just totally over thinking it?
Hopefully the latter

thanks
Loz
I think the card is probably more than strong enough....I would be more concerned I had a weak slot....but I don't think that fan is going to pull hard on the card at all.

...and if it did...it almost looks like you could put some sort of shim on the left to stop that from happening....but my gut feeling is....it's not going to happen.

Loz M 1985

Prominent
May 18, 2020

my only real worry is if the suction from the GPU fan is so strong that it’s enough to pull the pcie sata adapter card by 2mm into the fan resulting in damaging the fan (hope this doesn’t happen as the sata card is kinda flimsy and may move

Hopefully the latter

thanks
Loz

Hopefully the latter

thanks
Loz
I think the card is probably more than strong enough....I would be more concerned I had a weak slot....but I don't think that fan is going to pull hard on the card at all.

...and if it did...it almost looks like you could put some sort of shim on the left to stop that from happening....but my gut feeling is....it's not going to happen.

Reactions: Loz M 1985
Solution
Thanks for reply
Yeah, I will leave it as is and just see how hot the GPU gets with and without the adapter

appreciate your help
You're welcome.
...and looking at that again...I would think that would reduce cooling on the whole GPU by not more than something like 5%...and I would think there are other factors....like case temperature....that are going to have more influence.

TRENDING THREADS