Help Please People

Rade__NS

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017
Hello all,

I have an dilemma... What is the difference between KVR16N11S/8 and KVR16N11/8 (does it effect by any means motherboard compatibility)?

I have http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/B85-PLUS/B85_Series_Memory_QVL_Report_160427.pdf
I know its not compatible with my MOBO but just askin'.

I have Kingston KHX16C10B1K2/16X(XMP) and try to get Kingston too but as I have understood the most important is MOBo compatibility, latency and voltage when picking a module. Thx advance all

Atomicdonut17

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017
When choosing new RAM, the most important thing is to make sure those numbers match exactly. If they don't, they will not work in the same motherboard. One will work in one motherboard, as will another, but they will not work together. In fact, sometimes even if they're of the same model number, if they didn't come in the same kit, they STILL might not work. And, the CAS latency is important, as some people like tighter timings, but that's not a huge thing to worry over as you can adjust it yourself, as well as voltage. Now, compatibility is a ah heck. As long as it's suited to your motherboard's DIMM (Let's say, your motherboard uses DDR4 288 pin RAM) and the CPU supports the clock speed, it will run. You couldn't even FIT DDR3 240=pin in a 288-pin DIMM, but that's besides the point. If the CPU doesn't support the listed speed of the RAM, it will lower the clock to a speed it does support. Say, you put 3000MHz RAM in a 2400MHz-supported Kaby Lake 1151. It'll work, but at the CPU's recognized 2400MHz frequency. :>)

Rade__NS

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017
I know all that thank you, but my real problem was: I bought 4 Gb Geil 1600 Mhz 11-11-11-28 1.5 V. One would say there is no reason for MOBO not to accept this module but alas, above mentioned geil is not on the list and my MOBO refuses it, that's why posted original question because I found out that B85M-g is very, VERY picky MOBO...