[SOLVED] Help Please! Power Outage And My Internal HDD Stopped Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallMeOjiChan

Commendable
Mar 23, 2021
Hi guys, I experienced a power outage and my 2nd internal hard drive stopped working all out of a sudden.

To add to the context, I have 2 drives:
1 Boot drive (working perfectly)
1 HDD Storage drive (having issues)

I've tested swapping mobo/sata port and sata cables between these two and they worked perfectly fine with my boot drive. So it's not a mobo/cable issue.

Issues found:
  • HDD not detected in BIOS
  • HDD listed as "unknown device" under device management (shortly disappears after a while)
  • HDD has an error code of "A DEVICE WHICH DOES NOT EXIST WAS SPECIFIED" when I tried to initialize it on disk management.
Oddly, I have difficulty booting up my PC when the HDD is connected. Having to force boot my way through via BIOS.

I suspect that the HDD didn't die from wear and tear, but rather windows is having difficulty reading it/corrupted data. Nor is there any sound or rattling coming from it.

I'm fairly dumb when it comes to tech stuff, hopefully someone has answers here. Thanks in advance.

Edit:
PC specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
RAM: 16GB DDR4 Ram
GPU: GTX 1080
MOBO: Asrock B450 Pro4
PSU: Cooler Master Thunder 500W
HDD: Seagate SSHD 2TB

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

I would not put that HDD back in the original host computer.

Do remember that anything you do could cause further HDD damage and/or data loss.

Try using an independently powered external HDD case to house the problem drive for further testing.

Will the HDD appear if installed on another known working computer?

Go to the HDD manufacturer's website. Very likely that the manufacturer has some available diagnostic software for the HDD. Give the diagnostic software a try.

CallMeOjiChan

Commendable
Mar 23, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

I would not put that HDD back in the original host computer.

Do remember that anything you do could cause further HDD damage and/or data loss.

Try using an independently powered external HDD case to house the problem drive for further testing.

Will the HDD appear if installed on another known working computer?

Go to the HDD manufacturer's website. Very likely that the manufacturer has some available diagnostic software for the HDD. Give the diagnostic software a try.

Thanks for the reply Ralston! Can I ask why you wouldn't suggest putting it back to the original host computer? I don't really mind losing the data if I can use the drive again, would that be possible?

Also I've tried the Seagate diagnostic software. Same issue, it can't detect the HDD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS