Question Help please - Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, Asrock B450m MB, Corsair 3200mhz 16gb RAM - are these compatible?

heweaver

Reputable
Dec 4, 2019
Help please - Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, Asrock B450m MB, Corsair 3200mhz 16gb RAM - are these compatible?

I was sent a Motherboard, CPU, and RAM to replace for a client of ours. The CPU is an AMD Ryzen 5 3600. The RAM is two sticks of Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3200mhz 16 gb chips (2x8gb on each stick, so 32gb total between the two chips). The Motherboard is an ASRock b450m Steel Legend model.

The CPU came with brand new heat sink and fan as well. The problem I am having is when I turn it on, it powers on and it either stays on for a minute or two and then completely freezes no matter where its at, whether its the BIOS or before or even when trying to boot from an OS install USB drive (was planning on wiping the 128gb SSD for the client per their request) but when I noticed what it was doing, I tried to boot from their OS just to see and it still freezes up only after a minute or two of being on. I even disconnected all hard drives and removed the video card to try the onboard HDMI output, same result.

The power supply is the one they already had but it is a 600 watt, not sure which brand or model but I can try to get that if needed.

Unfortunately I don't have another power supply at the moment to try, or any other DDR4 ram either. So with what I had available, I was reading the motherboard instructions and it only lists up to 2400mhz RAM, and the box the RAM came in has two stickers on it that say they support Intel Core i7 and Intel Core. It doesn't mention anything about AMD support, and the fact that it was 3200mhz ram also had me wondering if maybe the RAM wasn't properly supported? I thought that higher speed capable RAM would just reduce their speed to match the max capability of the motherboard?

It almost acts like it is overheating but the CPU and Heat Sink are new and everything is powering on, plus it doesn't feel hot so I don't really think that's the case. And I can't get it to stay on long enough in BIOS to see if it has any temperature listings or even to reset the BIOS to defaults incase something was just not clocked properly. Everything was brand new in the box so I imagine everything is on default settings.

Can someone help me verify that this combination should or should not work together? I wish I had some extra DDR4 ram or another MB to try but I don't... the client purchased all of this himself and sent it to us for assembly. We don't normally get many desktops in to do this type of work on so no spare parts unfortunately. :(

Thanks! I'm hoping that this is just an incompatible combination and we can tell them what part they need to order to replace. Any help is greatly appreciated!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

They should be compatible assuming the motherboard has had the BIOS updates, as the 3600 is not compatible out of the box with the B450 Steel Legend. If this was the case, it wouldn't even boot into BIOS. It would just boot loop or swith off after starting.

The PSU make and model is important, so I'd find out what it is.