[SOLVED] Help please, Thank you

Aug 10, 2019
Hi guys, I'm new here and also a noob.
i brought a second hand GPU of a friend yesterday to replace my old GPU.
after installing the new GPU, i started the comp normally and can see the BIOS splash screen popped up for about 2-3 mins, but then the screen went blank after that.
I've tried clearing cmos by removing the round batt, unplugging and plugging RAMs from its slots, disconnecting HDDs/SSD and reconnecting it to solve this issue but im still getting the blank screen after the BIOS splash screen.
I plugged my old GPU back in and it works fine.
The one thing i haven't tried is disabling or uninstalling the driver of my old GPU via device manager. if i do this, would it be simple enough for a noob like me to enable it or installing the driver of my old GPU back again? if the new GPU still getting the blank screen

one thing i should say that the other problem i have is accessing BIOS (before I've installed the new GPU). its stuck on BIOS splash screen for about 2-3 mins then boot to window normally. i've tried hitting the F12, DEL quickly after a reboot, using USB2 and PS/2 style keyboard and cleared cmos but nothing works.

so, back to my original issue with my new GPU getting no display, if i disabled or uninstalled the driver of my old GPU via device manager, im worried that im not going to be able to enable or install it back if i had to do it in BIOS (due to not being able to access BIOS).

i would really appreciate it if anyone could share some light and thank you so much in advance

Last edited:
Solution
Update to latest bios if you are not already to the latest and download the program called DDU that clean install all your graphics card drivers and try again.
Aug 10, 2019
Update to latest bios if you are not already to the latest and download the program called DDU that clean install all your graphics card drivers and try again.
Hi Stefanos, Thank you for your response.
How do I get into bios after I transfer the update file to a usb stick to update bios? If i can't even access bios

I shall try the DDU program

Aug 10, 2019
Are you switching between NVIDIA and AMD? -- I would be sure you REMOVE the video drivers before you swap the cards.

Hi, no. My old gpu is msi 970 and my new gpu is msi 1060 gaming X.
Sorry, I have a noob question, what you mean by removing the video driver is uninstalling it via the device manager?

Thank you

Aug 10, 2019
Yes so as stefanos50 said you more than likely have to update the bios to use the newer gpu. Just put the old gpu back in, update the bios, restart. Then remove the drivers for the 970. Your system will go to vga. Then put the new gpu in and download the new drivers for the new gpu.

I shall try it, Thank you. Much appriciated it!
Will update you guys again once I've done it

TRENDING THREADS