Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a Dimension 4550 which is out of waranty.
Machine came with on DVD-R drive and one 30GB disk.
I added one additional 200 GB disk
and a CD-RW drive. I started having a
problem where DVD-R drive shows as a device
but no program recognizes a DVD or a CD in it.
They all say, insert a disk.
I called Dell twice and they solved it by asking me
to do the following.

Get into the setup menu via F2.
Press caps lock and scroll lock.
Press alt+F (it clears drive entries)
Press alt+E
Press alt+B to boot the machine.

When the machine boots up, DVD is recognized.
It happens very often and I do this sequence.

What I noticed that DVD is recognized only
once in the sense that if I take out the DVD and
insert it back, it is no longer recognized.
Someone told me that the sequence alters
the EEPROM and there are finite number of times
I can do it before the system becomes useless.
I vaguly recall Dell guy telling me that problem
is because I added additional devices.

Is there any thing I can do in terms of
some settings, cabling or something
to overcome this situation. Now I am using
my drive exrensively and it is really annoying.
Thanks.

"Bubba" <bubba654@aol.com> wrote in message
> I have a Dimension 4550 which is out of waranty.
> Machine came with on DVD-R drive and one 30GB disk.
> I added one additional 200 GB disk
> and a CD-RW drive. I started having a
> problem where DVD-R drive shows as a device
> but no program recognizes a DVD or a CD in it.
> They all say, insert a disk.
> I called Dell twice and they solved it by asking me
> to do the following.
>
> Get into the setup menu via F2.
> Press caps lock and scroll lock.
> Press alt+F (it clears drive entries)
> Press alt+E
> Press alt+B to boot the machine.
>
> When the machine boots up, DVD is recognized.
> It happens very often and I do this sequence.
>
> What I noticed that DVD is recognized only
> once in the sense that if I take out the DVD and
> insert it back, it is no longer recognized.
> Someone told me that the sequence alters
> the EEPROM and there are finite number of times
> I can do it before the system becomes useless.
> I vaguly recall Dell guy telling me that problem
> is because I added additional devices.
>
> Is there any thing I can do in terms of
> some settings, cabling or something
> to overcome this situation. Now I am using
> my drive exrensively and it is really annoying.
> Thanks.

I'd begin by checking for loose connections on the ribbon cable (or a
pinched/damaged cable in the case hinge). If the ribbon cable is routed
through the green clips under the (optical) drive cage with two drives
present, the cable tends to be very snug with no free movement at all -
sometimes causing the connections to loosen when the case is opened or
closed.

Then again as Tom said, the drive may be flaking out....

Stew

We ran into a problem like this at work when our machines were reimaged with
an outdated copy of packet writing software. We had many users write files
to CD-RW discs in anticipation of the transition. A disc inserted once was
fine. But, if removed, the system didn't recognize its reinsertion or the
insertion of a new disc. If we reboot the machine, it works as expected
until ... Of course, the answer from the new IT (non)support people, "we
don't support and will not install any packet writing software". That being
said, check to see if the problem exists only with open session and/or
closed discs. Just a thought.

YMMV

Robert

Did you set the CD-RW drive jumpers to cable select?

"Bubba" <bubba654@aol.com> wrote in message
> I have a Dimension 4550 which is out of waranty.
> Machine came with on DVD-R drive and one 30GB disk.
> I added one additional 200 GB disk
> and a CD-RW drive. I started having a
> problem where DVD-R drive shows as a device
> but no program recognizes a DVD or a CD in it.
> They all say, insert a disk.
> I called Dell twice and they solved it by asking me
> to do the following.
>
> Get into the setup menu via F2.
> Press caps lock and scroll lock.
> Press alt+F (it clears drive entries)
> Press alt+E
> Press alt+B to boot the machine.
>
> When the machine boots up, DVD is recognized.
> It happens very often and I do this sequence.
>
> What I noticed that DVD is recognized only
> once in the sense that if I take out the DVD and
> insert it back, it is no longer recognized.
> Someone told me that the sequence alters
> the EEPROM and there are finite number of times
> I can do it before the system becomes useless.
> I vaguly recall Dell guy telling me that problem
> is because I added additional devices.
>
> Is there any thing I can do in terms of
> some settings, cabling or something
> to overcome this situation. Now I am using
> my drive exrensively and it is really annoying.
> Thanks.

I have an 8200 and used a promise controller card to run a cdrw drive. The
drive wanted to be in cable select position 1.The dvd player wanted that
position too. I used a card.

"Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
> Did you set the CD-RW drive jumpers to cable select?
>
> "Bubba" <bubba654@aol.com> wrote in message
> > I have a Dimension 4550 which is out of waranty.
> > Machine came with on DVD-R drive and one 30GB disk.
> > I added one additional 200 GB disk
> > and a CD-RW drive. I started having a
> > problem where DVD-R drive shows as a device
> > but no program recognizes a DVD or a CD in it.
> > They all say, insert a disk.
> > I called Dell twice and they solved it by asking me
> > to do the following.
> >
> > Get into the setup menu via F2.
> > Press caps lock and scroll lock.
> > Press alt+F (it clears drive entries)
> > Press alt+E
> > Press alt+B to boot the machine.
> >
> > When the machine boots up, DVD is recognized.
> > It happens very often and I do this sequence.
> >
> > What I noticed that DVD is recognized only
> > once in the sense that if I take out the DVD and
> > insert it back, it is no longer recognized.
> > Someone told me that the sequence alters
> > the EEPROM and there are finite number of times
> > I can do it before the system becomes useless.
> > I vaguly recall Dell guy telling me that problem
> > is because I added additional devices.
> >
> > Is there any thing I can do in terms of
> > some settings, cabling or something
> > to overcome this situation. Now I am using
> > my drive exrensively and it is really annoying.
> > Thanks.

You don't need the card. Both being in the Cable Select position is proper.
ALL drives in the 4550 (and 8200) should be jumpered Cable Select.

I'd guess the drive is failing.

Tom
"Carolyn Taliaferro" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I have an 8200 and used a promise controller card to run a cdrw drive. The
> drive wanted to be in cable select position 1.The dvd player wanted that
> position too. I used a card.
>

> "Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
> > Did you set the CD-RW drive jumpers to cable select?
> >
> > "Bubba" <bubba654@aol.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a Dimension 4550 which is out of waranty.
> > > Machine came with on DVD-R drive and one 30GB disk.
> > > I added one additional 200 GB disk
> > > and a CD-RW drive. I started having a
> > > problem where DVD-R drive shows as a device
> > > but no program recognizes a DVD or a CD in it.
> > > They all say, insert a disk.
> > > I called Dell twice and they solved it by asking me
> > > to do the following.
> > >
> > > Get into the setup menu via F2.
> > > Press caps lock and scroll lock.
> > > Press alt+F (it clears drive entries)
> > > Press alt+E
> > > Press alt+B to boot the machine.
> > >
> > > When the machine boots up, DVD is recognized.
> > > It happens very often and I do this sequence.
> > >
> > > What I noticed that DVD is recognized only
> > > once in the sense that if I take out the DVD and
> > > insert it back, it is no longer recognized.
> > > Someone told me that the sequence alters
> > > the EEPROM and there are finite number of times
> > > I can do it before the system becomes useless.
> > > I vaguly recall Dell guy telling me that problem
> > > is because I added additional devices.
> > >
> > > Is there any thing I can do in terms of
> > > some settings, cabling or something
> > > to overcome this situation. Now I am using
> > > my drive exrensively and it is really annoying.
> > > Thanks.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In my case, nothing makes the problem
go away including reboot. Only thing seems
to work is is the sequence suggested by Dell.