blizt

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Hello,
i recently bought a power supply for my computer a gs 700w from corsair because my old power supply has been makign funny noises and though i best get a new one. i disconnected the old one and connected this one my computer starts fine but once it gets to starting windows the power supply makes a sound like its powering up and than it just cuts and the pc just stays on starting windows. I have a GA x58a-UD3R MOTHER BOARD I7 930 2.80 GHz and a gtx 460 im not entirely sure if its compatible where i bought it from i was told it was i have no idea to be honest.
If not possible could you guys recommend a power supply? anything else you guys should know?

My cpu heatsink fan does that every time I power up on most motherboards, except a lowly foxconn. You may not have any problem. I would run it. The noise may be annoying, but the power supply fan may be calibrating the speed and deciding it doesn't need to run fast due to the low temp. My antecs have a lead to the motherboard which I don't use, but many newer ones have the temp monitor built into the ps box.

cumi2k4

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Corsair are one of the good PSU vendor. You should be ok if there's no problem other than the whirring of the fan.
Mine does the same, actually all the fan i think run at high speed during boot, then slow down within 2 sec later.

blizt

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
the problem is the its not the fan its sort of like a buzzing sound the sounds electric so it kind of scares me. i just wish to change it any idea what might be a good one given the one i bought yesterday just doesnt seem to deliver enough power as it isnt able to start the whole system