[SOLVED] Help please

Oct 12, 2019
Building a pc to play 4k mkv files since my old pc having problems.

I went with a

mini itx asus rog astrix z390-I gaming motherboard

Intel i7 9700k

16 GB ram 3000mhz

Nvidia gtx 1650 4gb ddr5

2 questions do I need more ram and do I need a better video card???

I dont play games just watch mkv and such

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Solution
For just watching videos that build should be overkill and work perfectly fine. I could watch 4K even with my older 980ti or even with my 780. Just make sure you use a good player.
KMPlayer has the best audio and general settings but you need to bypass the commercials and stuff which you can solve by reading a guide on google. And it's free.
The GPU RAM and even CPU are overkill for your demands. And I can almost guarantee it will run the videos 99.9% since my older one used to and so does my new one.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
before moving further into the project, please ensure your ram sticks are listed in the ram QVL of your asus rog astrix z390-I gaming.
If not - you will dead certain run into problems later on.

If the gtx1650 runs 4K with the required fps, you may be happy with that.
The monitor must of course match that.

Oct 12, 2019
I assume I ordered it from cyberpowerpc since I lack k knowledge of what goes with what I know how to assemble basically that's it. Its connected to a oled tv I basically download torrents 4k mkv and play them. I was thinking of grabbing a better card like the rtx2060 but if the 1650 is enough I would stay with that. So would the 1650 be enough and is 16gb enough that's my queation

Oct 12, 2019
stick with 1 thread
I have the i7 9700k and 16gb ram and the gtx1650 card.

Question is I basically dont play games just download 4k mkv files on my oled 4k tv 2 questions
  1. Is the gtx 1650 enough to handle full 4k files
  2. Is 16gb enough ram to have that playing while BitTorrent and some web pages opened?

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
its your own responsibility to check the hardware specs before you order, and re-check what they find for you.
I cant spoon feed you, do something yourself, now you've got some pointers ;)

Cioby

Distinguished
For just watching videos that build should be overkill and work perfectly fine. I could watch 4K even with my older 980ti or even with my 780. Just make sure you use a good player.
KMPlayer has the best audio and general settings but you need to bypass the commercials and stuff which you can solve by reading a guide on google. And it's free.
The GPU RAM and even CPU are overkill for your demands. And I can almost guarantee it will run the videos 99.9% since my older one used to and so does my new one.

Reactions: Jackrouach
Solution
Oct 12, 2019
Thanks so much I was going to buy the rtx2060 so you just saved me $400.my older i5 with gtx1030 was fine just alittle hiccups with heavier files such as 40+gb mkvs but with this setup I should be fine I hope

Cioby

Distinguished
If you have issues with HIGHER files, the issue might be the HDD and not the other components.
Try getting a SSD. Samsung might be my first pick since they provide quality and good speeds.
Or just get a WD Black HDD if you want more storage but to have decent performance. I think the higher the storage the higher the speeds actually, since my 3TB has ~160-180 while my 6TB has up to 240 MBps.
Also if using a HDD and not SSD, try to keep it clean and do a defragment once in a while.