Question Help please

Aug 9, 2022
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and to be honest compuyers altogether. I have recently purchased a gaming pc for him from ebay (I don't have a massive amount of money) but I feel like I am been left high and dry almost (possibly my fault for not understanding properly but I was hoping for some advise from here.

The pc which was advertised as a gaming pc has the following:

Vibox case (with green lights and temp readout thing)
Motherboard: gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3
AMD FX-6350
Geforce 1050 (I believe the nvidia as only 2 gb)
Toshiba HDWD110 1tb HDD
No SSD as apparently this was not part of the sale

Now the point of the PC was so my son can play fortnite but everytime he loads it up the game crashes after a minute or 2. I have updated the drivers, tried changing the compatibility, lowered the res, updated Windows 10, tried verifying the files and a few other things.

When I tried to run OpenHardware Monitor initially with the help of a friend who is good with PCs (gamer but we currently have covid) the OpenHardware Monitor repeatedly crashed.

I have left it alone for now as I don't know what I am doing really and he can play roblox on it so is OK atm but in the mean time I have been looking at the various components and they do not appear to be very compatible for gaming.

I contacted the buyer and he said getting an SSD will help with the super slow boot up time (sometimes 10-15 minites) and will also help with the gaming aspect but my friend does not think it would help with the crashing.

Any advise would be appreciated and sorry for the long post

logainofhades

Titan
Find the power supply, and get it's make and model. They will have a sticker label, with that relevant information. You can use this to check temps.
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

This can check the health of your HDD.

Aug 9, 2022
Find the power supply, and get it's make and model. They will have a sticker label, with that relevant information. You can use this to check temps.
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

This can check the health of your HDD.

Thanks, the seller did put in the ad that he got a new GSU for it and I was curious about it as I read online that it may not be powerful enough.

At the risk of sounding stupid, is this the power supply that plugs into the wall or is it internal in the case?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You don't need to just update Windows 10 either. You need to fully wipe the drive and properly install Windows 10 fresh. It's very dangerous to be using a stranger's old install of Windows.

I really hope that this person didn't take advantage of you on the price. The ceiling on a reasonable price for this is about $150 or so. If you paid a lot more than this, I'd see if there are return options. I wish you had consulted us beforehand!

Aug 9, 2022
You don't need to just update Windows 10 either. You need to fully wipe the drive and properly install Windows 10 fresh. It's very dangerous to be using a stranger's old install of Windows.

I really hope that this person didn't take advantage of you on the price. The ceiling on a reasonable price for this is about $150 or so. If you paid a lot more than this, I'd see if there are return options. I wish you had consulted us beforehand!

I paid £200 and I wish I had too. Believe me. Its ebay so I am not having any luck with returns so I gotta try to make it work even if I have to buy extra parts etc.

I wouldnt have a clue how to wipe a drive or reinstall windows.

I know this is giving me a headache though . . .

Aug 9, 2022
Yeah I have buyer protection. Few quick questions questions though.

1. would an SSD stop crashing issues with games?
  2. why would it now not read a connection to the monitor after I have taken the side off to look ay the PSU (only thing attached to the side was a fan)?
  3. why does the case seem slightly bent, not line up right? (it also has broken bits on the front like the headphones and usbs as well as a broken bit of casing)

I do appreciate all the help I am getting

Aug 9, 2022
A gaming PC, maybe 10 years ago.

And now, with actual broken parts?

Get your money back, give him the system back.

Yeah, the front USB ports and headphone and mic ports are broken and part of the case next to the ports is snapped.

I got fortnite working for about 15 mins and then it crashed again and he had to shut down the whole pc and reboot.

I have tried. The seller is not happy to take it back. May have to go through ebay

Aug 9, 2022
Yeah, the front USB ports and headphone and mic ports are broken and part of the case next to the ports is snapped.

I got fortnite working for about 15 mins and then it crashed again and he had to shut down the whole pc and reboot.

I have tried. The seller is not happy to take it back. May have to go through ebay

I am worried I am gonna be stuck with it though so will have to work out what I can upgrade on a shoestring budget to grt it working properly. I think it is over heating.

Aug 9, 2022
Fixing/upgrading is a last resort.

Refund first.

Yeah it is an absolute last resort. Is that set up any good for running modern gaming though? Such as fortnite, apex etc and would an SSD do anything to stop the crashing? (The seller said it would) but I am not sure how it would.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah it is an absolute last resort. Is that set up any good for running modern gaming though? Such as fortnite, apex etc and would an SSD do anything to stop the crashing? (The seller said it would) but I am not sure how it would.
Full wipe and reinstall of the OS. This is an absolute must. No option.
Preferably on a SATA III SSD.
What RAM is in it?

But that is all secondary to getting your money back, and buying something more relevant to this decade.

Aug 9, 2022
Full wipe and reinstall of the OS. This is an absolute must. No option.
Preferably on a SATA III SSD.
What RAM is in it?

But that is all secondary to getting your money back, and buying something more relevant to this decade.

I am sending the seller another message now and will contact ebay if he doesn't agree to take it back and its 16gb RAM but only sata II motherboard.