noneleft

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
ok so i recently replaced my mobo, cpu and memory, got everything put together fine but then came the wiring which gave me a few problems at first. the main thing was that when i plugged everything in and turned the power on i would only get the fans and led to turn on then (very slowly after a while the drives would go) i redid a few things on the wring and now everything seems to be powered however there is no display on my screen its just blank with the light still orange, i know it cant be the monitor cus i just bought it less than a month ago and the vid card not too long before that(cus both burnt out). so as of right now im out of ideas on what could be causing the problem, any help would be appriciated.

noneleft

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
yeah just tried that and no change...the odd thing is that it doesnt sound as if my HD is getting power. before the system would turn on and after a minute or so the cpu fan would stop spinning. but right now im thinking i mighta just got a bad mobo

tiger131

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
I would strip it down to nothing (leave the cpu/heatsink on) and place the motherboard in the open. Now just plug in the Power switch and the power connecters and turn it on. If it doesn't, its either the cpu or motherboard. You can take just the CPU in to a tech shop and they will usually test it for free (make sure to put it in a nonstatic bag). Now add components in one at a time until you find the problem. Make sure with the ram to test each one individually, and test each slot individually to make sure a DIMM is not bad as well. Take it slow, and one at a time. Then if it all works, put it back in the case. Now if it doesn't work, make sure you have all the standoffs correctly placed and none of shorting out, otherwise you might have a short somewhere on the case. Good luck :)