G

Help im an idiot! While i was adding some stuff to my computer with the psu out of the case i had't relized the powersupply was on and i pluged in the hard drive to the power supply in the wrong ends causing the psu to shut off temporarily! I installed my OS and everything worked fine till I started using my computer. I used maxtors diagonstic tool and it said my r/w area thing was bad! Could the electric shock i cuased by pure stupidity have caused this? Or perhaps its a conflict with my motherboard or some other device? Ive reinstalled win98se many times and troubleshooted for hours! this seems like the only explanation for my problems! I have a maxtor 46.gig 7200 rpm 54610H6 HD and a ak31a (ver2) updated bios w/a amd 1700.
512ddr ram. Geforce2 gts and all these check out fine! Help!? Suggestions?

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If it was fine before and it's not now, then I would have to trust the diagnostic utility when it says that something's bad. Maxtor is pretty good at doing RMA replacements if you have the error code it generated when it told you the "r/w area thing" was bad.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
I'm trying to follow here.The power connector to the hdd is keyed to prevent improper connections,is this what you did,or did you try to use the floppy power connectors?
Secondly,it had to work for you to load your operating system on it.I'm not trying to be a wiseguy,just trying to visulaize your problem to try and help you......:)

If ya don't ask..How ya gonna know.