help please

G

i have just installed a second drive,set to act as a slave.
i've past the point were its detected in the bios settings,
but i dont know were to go from there.ie do i format it so
that i can install software,if so is this done in windows.(98).and i know it needs a drive letter but dont know how any of this is done.any help would be appreciated.

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
Before a new drive can be recognized by the operating system, it must be partitioned and formatted. Use your Win98 startup floppy disk to boot your computer. At the A:> prompt type FDISK. Enable large disk support. You should see your new drive listed (probably D: if your primary master drive only has one partition). Assuming you only want one partition, create a primary DOS partition using the full capacity of the drive. After the partition has been created reboot your computer with the startup floppy. When you get the A:> prompt then type FORMAT D: (or whatever is the correct designation for the new drive) and follow the instructions. When the format is complete, restart your computer and you will be able to access it in Windows.

BE VERY CAREFUL THAT YOU CORRECTLY IDENTIFY THE NEW DRIVE, BECAUSE IF YOU MAKE A MISTAKE YOU CANNOT UNDO IT.

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!<font color=green> :smile:

G

cheers speedy, followed instuctions and all is fine.
i did do abit of nailbiting during the format stage thou incase i formated the wrong drive. LOL.
anyway a large THANKYOU for your help. :)