Connman

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
I'm looking at buying a Asus V7100 Geforce2MX 32MB for $169.99 (Canadian). But a friend of mine as a ATI ragefury MAXX64MB for sale. Retail is $159.99(canadian also). Which is the better card for gameing? My Comp. is a AMD500 K6/2, 192MB, WinME.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Connman on 06/13/01 00:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Stay the hell away from the Rage Fury MaXX. Help your friend dont buy that piece of sh!t card. It doesn't work. I cant believe anyone would still sell that thing.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

Connman

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
ASUS V7100 GEFORCE 2 MX 32MB $169.95, ATI RAGEFURY MAXX 64MB AGP $159.95, ELSA ERAZOR III LT 32MB SDRAM AGP $119.95. There's my 3 choices. Now why is the Ragefury Maxx such a bad card? and how does the Geforce256 DDR compare to the Geforce2 MX?

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Just a quick question, if your looking for a budget card try and look up a RadeonLE. The RageFury Maxx is just a flat out buggy card. Do some searching and read some reviews on the card. If your going to buy a GeForce2MX card then make sure it's the MX400 series. Otherwise the GeForce256 DDR outperforms it. But that Elsa Card is a SDR card not a DDR.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

G

go for the MX, try and get a leadtek or gainward kind. They make them with faster memory than any other brand but that is only important if you want to overclock the video card. The MX card is less dpendant on the cpu than the MAXX and isn't buggy. Also, really look into the Radeon LE if you will be overclocking, it will provide the best price/performance and will also be less dependant on the cpu.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have tried both, the MX sucks less than the Rage Fury Max, but it still sucks. The Readeon LE puts the MX to shame, and for less money. I even compared the two on my own computer. The LE is the absolute best value, outclassing the MX by at least 15%, when HyperZ and retail clock settings are used.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

HandOfDragon

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
Radeon LE is not bad. It give you HydraVision (ATI term, of course) which basically allow you to hook two monitors to your comp. But Radeom LE doesn't have T&L engine. So I would go for Radeon LE for game and either flash its Bios or tweak it to get HyperZ enable. With Radeon LE (even without tweaking), you will get a really good graphic card (excellent image quality + fast), much better than GF2 MX in my opinion. Anyway, if you can find the Radeon 64 DDR VIVO pretty cheap (I would consider $199 (USD) a good price for it), you may love it for its functionalities.

I have tries many graphic cards and actually own couples of them currently (GF2MX variants, Radeon 32 SDRAM PCI, Radeon 64 DDR VIVO and etc.) and I have to say Radeon 64 DDR VIVO is the best graphic card I've used. I love the capability of capturing movies and output to my TV screen. DVD play back is also excellent on Radeon cards. Anyway, pick whatever you like and it will work best for you =)

AMD Athlon T-1.2G
MK33 AOpen, Via KT133
320MB 100MHz SDRAM
Seagate 8GB
ATI Radeon 64 DDR VIVO
1 CD-ROM
1 CD-RW
1 Floppy Drive
10/100 mbps Network Adapter
250W PSU

Connman

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
Flash my Bios to enable T&L engine? and i'm thinking the Radeon LE 32MB DDR would be better. I don't have 2 moniters anyways. Thx for the advice.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That was probably a typo-the VE has no T&L engine. The LE does. The LE has all the features of the retail Radeon 32, but with th HyperZ disabled in software. Three instructions in Regedit enables it. It also comes at a lower clock rate. Any radeon clocking program fixes that. And it only cost around $100 Canandian. Much more powerfull than the VE.

HandOfDragon

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
Thanks carshman,

Sorry my bad. I've been awake for more than 15 hours now or may be i'm gettin old =) I mean VE don't have T&L. If you are interested in ATI card, you may want to visit www.rage3d.com. It is the best resource for ATI card.

Connman

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
Hi there. You wouldn't happen to know where I could find a ATI RADEON 32MB DDR LE AGP for a $100.00. cause i can't find a store near me that sell's it less than $159.99. And I'm in Saskatchewen

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I just converted U.S. price from Pricewatch.com to Canadian currency. Grizley1 should know where you can get the thing online for around $100 Canadian.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
He hangs out in the forum "other", located at the bottom of the forum list. Or make a new post titled "Where to by Radeon LE in Canada?" and someone will answer it.

ianmills

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
Actually you can get a retail Chaintech geforce2 gts card for only $185... it would probably be a better deal. I just got one 2 weeks ago, works great with a little tweaking.

go here: http://www.ntcw.com/ (the card is listed as GENERIC Nvidia GeForce 2 GTS 32MB DDR 4x AGP )

The only thing is that this store is in vancouver, so you'd need to add a few extra bucks for shipping :(
Also, the availability of chaintech cards suck.... So while it might be possible to pick one up closer to home, you probably won't be able to.

luvs and hugs ian