Question Help pls. Black screen after windows 10 loads Nvidia GTX 1060 (6gb version) display driver

justbaffled

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012
I have just 'upgraded' to Windows 10. In Windows 7 I had no problems with my PC, no crashes, no driver issues it just worked.

Now on Windows 10 I am getting a black screen every time the display driver is loaded. This is not just 'its sending black' to the monitor, the signal drops totally and the monitor displays 'No signal'.

There is no cursor, no mouse pointer nothing as there is no signal.

The motherboard does not have inbuilt grahics, its quite old with an AMD Phenom black processor. That said it should be capable of running win 10 and works fine in win 7.

There are a lot of threads on the net with folk having similar issues, but I have not been able to find a solution. I did find that Nvidia had to issue a hot fix some time ago, but surly their new drivers should not have this issue?

So far I have found that starting in safe mode (a complete pain to get to as I have to kill the power during boot so windows moans it cant start properly - f8 is grabbed by the mbo bios for its boot menu) I get a display.

I also get a display when starting in low res mode.

If I clean out the drivers using DDU then I get a display for a short time after re-boot before something puts a dud driver back and the display goes blank.

If I remove the 1060 in device manager then I alway get a display - but of course no 3d, etc - presumably as windows is using a fallback driver. Scanning for new hardware finds the 1060 and then shortly after this something starts a dud driver and the display goes black.

Sooo can someone suggest a working Nvidia driver?

Or can someone explain how to completely clear out all but the fallback drivers from windows.

I have tried just unistalling the Nvidia drivers from programme manager, but this requires a reboot and I still get a black screen - when I expected the PC to be using the fall back drivers.

In short I am stuck :( .

I have tried installing the latest (431.60) but this also give a black screen.

Hello

This usually happens when your monitor fails to support the resolution your graphics driver is configured at. But since things were working fine in Windows 7, clearly the latest driver isn't compatible with the hardware and the OS.

A temporary solution would be to stick to the old driver or set the display to a bit lower resolution, and disable automatic driver updates to preventing Windows from downloading and installing the latest version.

As an alternate solution, you can check for any BIOS updates and see if updating it helps.

Good Luck!!

justbaffled

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012
Huge thanks for the reply it pointed me in towards the reason for the back screen but alas not a solution as yet.

You were correct that the problem is to do with refresh rates. I borrowed another monitor and this displays fine @60hz. I then plugged my monitor back in and was met by the same black screen.

I then plugged my monitor into the 1060's dvi port (via a HDM adaptor) and the borrowed monitor into the hdmi port I had been using. This gave a 2 display setup and both monitors showed a picture (the desktop spanned across).

I checked the borrowed and my display's refresh rates and now my monitor was only at 30hz not 60. Whats more there was no way of changing my display to a higher refresh in either the nvidia control pannel or windows 10. The option just was not there.

I shut down and swapped the leads. Rebooted and again the borrowed monitor was 60hz, but mine was still 30..

I shutdown and disconnected the borrowed monitor. Mine showed a picture but when I checked its properies it showed the borrowed monitor and a daft refresh rate (58hz). Not quite as daft as 30, but still.

Now v confused I plugged the borrowed monitor in and after a reboot my monitor was detected and displayed (but still only at 30hz).

I switched back to a single display, unplugged the borrowed one rebooted and my display was black again.

So it looks like windows 10 is not detecting my display correctly. V odd since win 7 had no issues. When I installed win 10 I kept the old win 7 hard drive - I have just plugged this back in and my monitor is fine with a picture and at 60hz.

Whats wrong with win 10? Why cant it detect my monitor, why is it driving it at 30hz in a dual screen setup and why wont it drive it at all in a single display setup?

Anyone any ideas? Is there a way to force win 10 to set a fixed refresh rate? Or what do I need to do to get this supposed 'better' OS to actually behave like it should?

Many thanks

Last edited:

justbaffled

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012
OK... This has been a frustrating and utterly avoidable issue however I have now got a working win 10 install.

The problem was as viveknayyar007 suggested to do with win 10 picking a refresh rate that my monitor did not like. The solution, well I'm not sure it is a solution but its working for me so here goes.

Instead of doing a clean install I wondered if doing an upgrade would leave the drivers (from win 7) alone at least long enough for me to make a recovery drive, and maybe solve the issue.

I cloned my win 7 disk and ran the win 10 update on the cloned disk. This resulted in win 10 booting to a proper login screen (not black) however on subsequent boots it went back to a black screen and I was stuck again.

I re-cloned, re-updated and this time produced a recovery drive, the screen went black about half way through this and I was stuck again.

I waited until I guessed the recovery had been created (couple of hours) and then booted from that. To my annoyance there was no start-up selection option on it (why???) so was once again stuck with having to power cycle to get into safe mode.

Having got back to the boot options screen I selected low res mode and - instead of booting to a black screen as had previously happened I got a login again.

Safe mode wont let you change or even see the monitor refresh rate, but this does and when I looked I saw that it was 75hz. My monitor can't handle that, so I switched it to 60 and rebooted, expecting another black screen.

Instead I still had a login and so far I have not had windows give me a black screen. Several apps have and I have had to either re-install them or hack around with their prefs files.

I have no idea why a clean install of win 10 sets the monitor refresh outside its limits - it should be asking the monitor and setting it correctly - or at least defaulting to the old safe 31.5 as previous installs did. Doing an update rather than a fresh install enabled me to get at a screen in the low res mode, which previously also black screened on me (why? no-idea). I do not know if this is a Microsoft or Nvidia issue or a combination.

Equally I have no idea why my recovery drive does not have any startup options available, I can do a fresh install, but not boot into safe mode, low res mode or anything else, which is just pathetic.

I saw a thread here asking what your win 10 experience was, I haven't bothered to post there as it would be one word.

Dire

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
It's not often talked about--maybe it's not necessary--but monitors do have their own drivers. Win-X > device manager > monitors > right click on your monitor choose update drivers. Now normally it might just show default settings which show as PnP (plug and play) but if you find the monitor and update its driver you might get better results.

I'm sort of used to the tradition where you just plug the monitor in and everything works but I think that's not as much the way things are these days.

Greg N