HELP PLS <--- CPU DISASTER!!!!

Marklar_PoON

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Hi all,

I was removing my AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+ Venice out of my old motherboard to put it in my new one. When I pulled out the heatsink, the CPU was ripped out with it. It came off the heatsink ok but a couple of pins were slightly bent. It slotted into my new mobo nicely so I figured it was ok. Set it all up (with the new MOBO, PSU and graphics card) and went to start it up and NO BEEP!!! All the fans were running (cpu, system, and graphics card fans) and the hard drives felt like they were goin but it didnt beep and didnt start up. Would you guys say my CPU has shat itself or what do you suggest doing? Im 98% sure the plugs were all in the right places (built a few puters b4). Please help and let me know if you need more info to make a judgement.

Thanks in advance

Marklar_PoON

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I dont follow wat your suggesting there. I think i might try and put it in my old mobo with just one stick of ram and connect the speaker and power button. Wont connect any drives or graphics card and pci cards etc.
Then if i get something I know it is new mobo and if i get nothing i will test with old psu and then i could determine if it is the new psu which is unlikely

DeathwingX

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
ya sry miss typed some stuff, ya that should work, and if all else really does fail then its like i tryed to state up there, ur cpu is scrwed up, but i doubt it

Marklar_PoON

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
really?? would the pins being just a slight bit unstraight possibly be the cause even though it slid into the new mobo nicely? Could they possibly be not betting contact? What would you suggest to straghten them? small pliers are about all i can think of but maybe a bit extreme - the pins are pretty solid but

endyen

Splendid
Putting slightly bent pins into a socket has one of two results. It may straighten them out, or it will flatten them. Look for a flattened pin.
I use a credit card to staighten pins. A little pressure at a time.

Marklar_PoON

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
k thx for your help. Im guessing by flattened you mean like a flattened cross section - not folded over 90 degrees (mine havnt done that)

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
This is why Intel was smart enough years ago to rid the world of CPU pins with LGA-775. Even if it means all the worries of damaging the motherboard socket pins.
Although, would you rather fork out $200 for a new high end motherboard or $400+ for a CPU with bent pins?

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Check everything before you continue to freak out. Unless you believe you applied too much force, hopefully nothing is wrong. Most important thing is not to freak.

AntiHax0r

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Ewwww... venice pins >.< soo many of them..I'd go through the process of stripping the mobo of PCI cards.. booting by 1 ram chip etc... and check the pins, if not the socket for possibly bent terms(I'm not sure how one would do that with that many pin holes :p)

Trucker61

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2005
I really doubt that the pins are the issue. I have bent pins accidentally on a few occasions and after straightening never had a problem with one.

A year and a half ago I had an A64 3700 claw. stick fast to an XP-90 and it bounced on me during removal, it knocked over 3 rows of pins on one side. (completely over, 90*) At the time is was a 400$ processor, talk about being a bit sick to your stomach.

I broke out a needle, a razorblade, a halogen lamp and a magnifying glass and after some time was successful in restoring it to proper alignment, with no after effects.

As long as the pins fit into the holes in the CPU socket they should have good contact, as when you move the hold down lever to close it they shift the grid to create a locking effect.

I would look elsewhere for the problem, like was mentioned possibly memory. Remove all but the bare necessities to run it.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Unless you completely broke off a pin (and that's not very likely) chances are that any pin damage can be repaired. I doubt that you've killed you CPU. Double check the pins, try it in the old hardware, yada yada. Like everyone has said. :)

bombasschicken

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
This is why Intel was smart enough years ago to rid the world of CPU pins with LGA-775. Even if it means all the worries of damaging the motherboard socket pins.
Although, would you rather fork out $200 for a new high end motherboard or $400+ for a CPU with bent pins?

yeah but its easier to replace a processor then to rip the whole motherboard out and replace it...

Marklar_PoON

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
its all good guys. I tried it in my old mobo and after a few tries it worked with one ram DIMM and a GC. Straghtened out the couple of pins but wat i think did it was putting a little more force on it when clamping it in. Put it back in my new mobo then and it posted so I connected it all up and its going sweet as. And yes I was freaking out, I was gonna have trouble affording to live through uni this year if I needed a new CPU. And bombasschicken, surely u agree that replacing a mobo is not worth $200. dang it. thx again guys