[SOLVED] Help pls. Discoloration on some i7-7700k pin pads due to thermal paste

kluader

Honorable
Nov 25, 2017
The other day, I managed somehow to drop thermal paste (arctic mx 4) on 6 pin pads. I used dry towel to clean it gently, but pads are still bit darker. Got scared to use alcohol. The thing is the cpu isn't mine and I was asked to put thermal paste by a friend because his motherboard died and ordered another one. Do you think I damaged it? I do not know what to do. Is the discoloration an issue you think?

Solution
I would not expect discoloration to be a problem.

That might not be true if the thermal paste "contamination" actually caused some sort of permanent damage involving metal degradation along with discoloration, loss of connectivity, etc..

Any thermal paste causing such problems would probably be "called out" , "exposed", or otherwise likely would make the "do not buy" lists.

All should be well.

Ralston18

Titan
I would not expect discoloration to be a problem.

That might not be true if the thermal paste "contamination" actually caused some sort of permanent damage involving metal degradation along with discoloration, loss of connectivity, etc..

Any thermal paste causing such problems would probably be "called out" , "exposed", or otherwise likely would make the "do not buy" lists.

All should be well.

Solution
The other day, I managed somehow to drop thermal paste (arctic mx 4) on 6 pin pads. I used dry towel to clean it gently, but pads are still bit darker. Got scared to use alcohol. The thing is the cpu isn't mine and I was asked to put thermal paste by a friend because his motherboard died and ordered another one. Do you think I damaged it? I do not know what to do. Is the discoloration an issue you think?

Just clean it with some alcohol already.