[SOLVED] Help pls, power supply buzzing sounds

Coarse(air) Dirt

Prominent
Mar 11, 2022
So, I have a cx450m (2021 version the triangular grille version) and its 2 days old and I have noticed buzzing sounds coming from it, its very quiet and its constant it starts when I turn on my pc and it stops when I turn my pc off. I'm not sure if its coil whine (what are the symptoms of coil whine anyway? like how do I identify that it is coil whine and not something worse?) and I can't afford a new PSU ATM (I will be able to after 2 months my budget is 65 dollars and I've picked a Asus TUF bronze 550watt PSU which is on Amazon.in for 64 dollars (huge discount and it can get out of stock when I have enough money but maybe some good affordable Corsair PSU will be back in stock)). So my question is - Should I keep on using this PSU for the coming two months or should I do something else? What should I do? Any help is appreciated.

And yes the sound it makes
And my system specs: R5 3400G , 2 sticks of 8 gigabytes of ram 3200Mhz (XMP turned on) a NVME SSD, B450 Tomahawk Max and 4 case fans. The CPU isn't OC'ed, all running on stock settings except for I increased its VRAM to 2 gigabytes from the ram so 450 Watts should be enough.

And BTW I have a spare cv450 which is a year old and a couple months ago it also had buzzing sounds but I think that's different because when it did have buzzing sounds coming from it the LED tube light in my room (and the whole house's lights) was also flickering with the same frequency as the sound so I think that might have been voltage fluctuations in my locality and it doesn't have any sounds coming from it now.

And I forgot to mention I can't replace this PSU because I've already done it once before because the first one came with a slight physical defect its nothing big now that I think of it maybe I shouldn't have replaced it. So I have 2 options left - RMA (corsair doesn't RMA PSU's with coil whine - I heard that in another thread) or wait for 2 months while still using the PSU.

Last edited:
Solution
So, I have a cx450m (2021 version the triangular grille version) and its 2 days old and I have noticed buzzing sounds coming from it, its very quiet and its constant it starts when I turn on my pc and it stops when I turn my pc off. I'm not sure if its coil whine (what are the symptoms of coil whine anyway? like how do I identify that it is coil whine and not something worse?) and I can't afford a new PSU ATM (I will be able to after 2 months my budget is 65 dollars and I've picked a Asus TUF bronze 550watt PSU which is on Amazon.in for 64 dollars (huge discount and it can get out of stock when I have enough money but maybe some good affordable Corsair PSU will be back in stock)). So my question is - Should I keep on using this PSU...
So, I have a cx450m (2021 version the triangular grille version) and its 2 days old and I have noticed buzzing sounds coming from it, its very quiet and its constant it starts when I turn on my pc and it stops when I turn my pc off. I'm not sure if its coil whine (what are the symptoms of coil whine anyway? like how do I identify that it is coil whine and not something worse?) and I can't afford a new PSU ATM (I will be able to after 2 months my budget is 65 dollars and I've picked a Asus TUF bronze 550watt PSU which is on Amazon.in for 64 dollars (huge discount and it can get out of stock when I have enough money but maybe some good affordable Corsair PSU will be back in stock)). So my question is - Should I keep on using this PSU for the coming two months or should I do something else? What should I do? Any help is appreciated.

And yes the sound it makes
And my system specs: R5 3400G , 2 sticks of 8 gigabytes of ram 3200Mhz (XMP turned on) a NVME SSD, B450 Tomahawk Max and 4 case fans. The CPU isn't OC'ed, all running on stock settings except for I increased its VRAM to 2 gigabytes from the ram so 450 Watts should be enough.

And BTW I have a spare cv450 which is a year old and a couple months ago it also had buzzing sounds but I think that's different because when it did have buzzing sounds coming from it the LED tube light in my room (and the whole house's lights) was also flickering with the same frequency as the sound so I think that might have been voltage fluctuations in my locality and it doesn't have any sounds coming from it now.

And I forgot to mention I can't replace this PSU because I've already done it once before because the first one came with a slight physical defect its nothing big now that I think of it maybe I shouldn't have replaced it. So I have 2 options left - RMA (corsair doesn't RMA PSU's with coil whine - I heard that in another thread) or wait for 2 months while still using the PSU.

It's normal.

Solution

You should be asking Corsair these questions, not random people on the Internet.

Why would you not be able to RMA the same PSU more than once?

I have seen people RMA power supplies for coil whine, so I'm not sure why someone would say they wouldn't.

Maybe they were doing the RMA through a third party in a developing country like India, et.

But also, coil whine is completely dependent on the sum of your parts.... and on your mains! So the same PC may not have a buzz in another house. Or the same PSU may not have the buzz in another PC. But another PSU that's the same may have the same buzz as the first one.

TRENDING THREADS