Question Help plz! Laptop still overheating even after cleaning and changing thermal paste. Fan is also good.

jay747

Prominent
Nov 15, 2018
This is driving me crazy. I cleaned the internals. Fan is working perfectly. The heatsink is spotless. Thermal paste is new and applied correcly. And yet still its as if i haven't done anything.

As soon as I turn it on from a cold start the temp jumps up to %85 almost instantly. Connecting to wifi somehow seems to make it much worst. If I disconnect the internet, the temp goes down by as much as 15 degrees. Browse around a little and the laptop shuts down because of overheating.

What could be the reason?

Last edited:
This is driving me crazy. I cleaned the internals. Fan is working perfectly. The heatsink is spotless. Thermal paste is new and applied correcly. And yet still its as if i haven't done anything. What could be the reason?

The reason might be the actual cooling capabilities of your laptop.

I had a similar experience with an older dell latitude... it was going to 105C and throttled after 5 minutes of stress testing.
Even though I changed the thermal paste and cleaned the inside, the laptop was still getting to a toasty 100C after a few minutes under full load.

jay747

Prominent
Nov 15, 2018
The reason might be the actual cooling capabilities of your laptop.

I had a similar experience with an older dell latitude... it was going to 105C and throttled after 5 minutes of stress testing.
Even though I changed the thermal paste and cleaned the inside, the laptop was still getting to a toasty 100C after a few minutes under full load.
But it wasn't like this before this started.

jay747

Prominent
Nov 15, 2018
Are you sure that you remounted the heatsink properly?
This sounds like impoper transfer of heat between your heatsink and the CPU.
Are you sure that you remounted the heatsink properly?
This sounds like impoper transfer of heat between your heatsink and the CPU.
Yes, its definetly mounted correctly. I assembled and disassembled two times. If it was mounted incorrectly the 1st time, then the chances of it being mounted incorrectly the 2nd time is nonextistant. Factor into that that it was overheating before dissembling, and cleaning made no difference at all....yep, its not that.

So initially you said this:

But it wasn't like this before this started.
From what I can gather you basically implied that it wasn't overheating before you started cleaning it.

Then:

Factor into that that it was overheating before dissembling, and cleaning made no difference at all....yep, its not that.
You just contradicted yourself.

So which one was it... was it overheating the same before doing all this work to it or not?

jay747

Prominent
Nov 15, 2018
So initially you said this:

From what I can gather you basically implied that it wasn't overheating before you started cleaning it.

Then:

You just contradicted yourself.

So which one was it... was it overheating the same before doing all this work to it or not?
Sorry for the confusion. The reason I opened it up to clean it in the first place was because of the overheating. I figured that was the reason. Notice the "still" and "even" in the title?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS