[SOLVED] help plz

king sheriff

Reputable
Sep 23, 2019
ok to my computer knowladge which is on ly about 1 years old im thinking its a gpu bottleneck by the cpu

its fortnite chapter 2 season 1 and my fps went from 124 average to 45 public sessions i have recently been seeing my gpu go from 100% to 0 to 75% while my cpu floats around 30 to 60%
even in far cry 4 i get 76 fps on high but when i had my gigybite radeon hd 7870 i got around 115 fps also got 137 fps on public matches on fortnite

my r9 380 temputer go to 74
and my cpu temputer heats up to 67

specs
fx 6300
m5a78l-m/usb3
r9 380 sapphire nitro 4gb
550w antec power supply
14gb ddr3 ram
120 ssd
1tb hhd

Solution
Sigh. Another m5a78L board.

It runs the 760G chipset. This was a mid range chipset from before the time of the FX CPUs. It has a weak part that prevents it from running 125W CPUs well. I know yours is a 95W CPU, but that's really the upper limit of what that board can handle. I mention all this because I want you to install Hwmonitor and take a good look at your temps. I'm assuming from your parts list that this is an older build with possible dust build up. Make sure the HSF is clear of dust, as are the motherboard heatsink. Such as they are. Even the 380 is older and might need to be cleaned.

It could also just be the 6300 is getting too old. It wasn't...

4745454b

Titan

It runs the 760G chipset. This was a mid range chipset from before the time of the FX CPUs. It has a weak part that prevents it from running 125W CPUs well. I know yours is a 95W CPU, but that's really the upper limit of what that board can handle. I mention all this because I want you to install Hwmonitor and take a good look at your temps. I'm assuming from your parts list that this is an older build with possible dust build up. Make sure the HSF is clear of dust, as are the motherboard heatsink. Such as they are. Even the 380 is older and might need to be cleaned.

It could also just be the 6300 is getting too old. It wasn't a good gaming CPU when it came out, and that was a "long" time ago. Considering the junk status of the board I suggest limping along as best you can and replace your core components when you can. A new CPU, board, and ram can breathe new life into your 380.

Reactions: king sheriff
Solution

king sheriff

Reputable
Sep 23, 2019

It could also just be the 6300 is getting too old. It wasn't a good gaming CPU when it came out, and that was a "long" time ago. Considering the junk status of the board I suggest limping along as best you can and replace your core components when you can. A new CPU, board, and ram can breathe new life into your 380.
Any CPU ,motherboqrd and ram suggesting

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk

4745454b

Titan
I had a 3770K, Gigabyte 4h(?) board and 16GBs of DDR3 ram. Worked well but lost it when my town burned down. When the last prime day happened I bought a 2600, Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra board and 16GBs of Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz. The board was $100, the CPU was $120? And the ram was another ~$80 or so. I think I got that for around ~$300. You might want to wait a month and see what BF/CM sales are like. Be open to what you are buying and I'm sure you'll find a deal. You already have a system so using it for another month shouldn't be that painful. But you'll need to see what parts are on sale and build around those.

If you really want to buy now I'm not sure. I haven't looked at parts recently. The 2600 is a fairly good all around CPU. An Intel 8400 is a good gaming CPU. Same with the 9 series CPUs. 16GBs of 3200MHz ram is $80 so it's a good time to buy that. Pair it with a nice midrange board and you should be fine.

king sheriff

Reputable
Sep 23, 2019
I had a 3770K, Gigabyte 4h(?) board and 16GBs of DDR3 ram. Worked well but lost it when my town burned down. When the last prime day happened I bought a 2600, Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra board and 16GBs of Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz. The board was $100, the CPU was $120? And the ram was another ~$80 or so. I think I got that for around ~$300. You might want to wait a month and see what BF/CM sales are like. Be open to what you are buying and I'm sure you'll find a deal. You already have a system so using it for another month shouldn't be that painful. But you'll need to see what parts are on sale and build around those.

If you really want to buy now I'm not sure. I haven't looked at parts recently. The 2600 is a fairly good all around CPU. An Intel 8400 is a good gaming CPU. Same with the 9 series CPUs. 16GBs of 3200MHz ram is $80 so it's a good time to buy that. Pair it with a nice midrange board and you should be fine.
Thanks since Christmas is around the Conner prices Should drop and I live in Australia so we have black Friday thing we call boxing day hopefully price go down to on that day
And cyber monday

4745454b

Titan
Right. Use the system you have, see what goes on sale then. We are talking about waiting 5-6 weeks so this shouldn't be a big deal. Look around and find something newer. DDR4, etc. 2600, 2600X, 8400, etc. There should be something. Pick one and find a good board to go with it. I was looking at B450 boards, but found that deal on the X470. I was flexible with what I was getting so I just got it. I had the 2700X in my cart at one point for $199, but went down to the 2600 for $100 or $120. Can't remember. You'll find something I'm sure.

king sheriff

Reputable
Sep 23, 2019
Right. Use the system you have, see what goes on sale then. We are talking about waiting 5-6 weeks so this shouldn't be a big deal. Look around and find something newer. DDR4, etc. 2600, 2600X, 8400, etc. There should be something. Pick one and find a good board to go with it. I was looking at B450 boards, but found that deal on the X470. I was flexible with what I was getting so I just got it. I had the 2700X in my cart at one point for $199, but went down to the 2600 for $100 or $120. Can't remember. You'll find something I'm sure.
Yes thanks its just i think I'm fx 6300 is bottlenecking my R9 380