[HELP] Possible problem with PSU

valiantsmash

Honorable
Feb 8, 2015
Hi all,

I have a 1 year old PC which I built from the ground up. I have moderate experience building PCs and I have upgraded it a few times now including ram and the GPU.

I have recently moved into a new place and have gotten my PC setup about a week after the move. It has now been almost 3 months since the move and it has never had an issue until now.
When switching on the power at the wall a loud pop sound comes from the back of the PSU, no smoke or spark. This has been happening every time I turn on the powerpoint but the thing that confuses me is the computer still works. I have been using it for a while being completely aware of the issue as I though nothing of it.

Well the other morning, I woke up, as people do, and walked over and switched the powerpoint on. When doing so, there was the loudest pop I have ever heard and a spark from behind the PSU bit still no smoke or burning smell. The next part of this story forced me from unplugging the thing and coming here for answers. The PC had triggered a safety within the fuse box and shut off the main power to the unit.

Yes, I probably should have stopped using it the first time I heard a pop but it was still working so I really thought it was fine.

Could this be the PSU? Maybe need a higher wattage PSU due to the upgrades? What would be the recommenced wattage for my build? I am planning future upgrades such as Dual SLI etc.

Some information:
The PSU is a Corsair TX850.
My computer specs are as follows:
MoBo: Crosshair V Formula Z CPU: AMD 8350 8-Core GPU: GeForce GTX 680 x1 RAM: GSkill Tridentx 16gb Storage: 3 WD 1tb 7400rpm Optical: Standard DvD Chassis: 2 LED 140mm fans 1 Standard 180mm 1 Standard 200mm
Thanks,

Solution
Yes, as nostall have said, that last loud "pop" could have brought down other components along with it.

As for the power supply upgrade, for a reasonable price, this is a very high quality (Tier 1) unit that comes with excellent warranty:
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

750W is more than enough for your build. New components are now more power efficient. With this power supply, you can even run a 980 Ti if you wanted to. I would recommend forking out for 1000W P2 or G2 PSU if you want to SLI.

Good luck and reply on the results :)
"Yes, I probably should have stopped using it the first time I heard a pop but it was still working so I really thought it was fine."
Yes, god dammit you should have.

The whole watt load should be under 500W. What is your budget for the power supply?

Do NOT power up that PSU again until you find out what made the pop.
It is more then likely the PSU. TX series was a pretty good unit, but they can fail.
850 watts is more then enough for your system; but I am a believer in having a little more power available then is needed, so a 650-750 watt PSU will also be more then sufficient.
Do not be surprised if the computer doesn't fire up with the new psu installed: That last "pop" could have damaged any number of other components - but without reliable power you won't know until you try to start up the PC.

valiantsmash

Honorable
Feb 8, 2015

Aha yeah. Thought so. I just had gaming to do.

My budget is around 250-350 AUD. I think I should maybe go for something around 1000? I was looking into a EVGA SuperNova. What are your recommendations?

valiantsmash

Honorable
Feb 8, 2015

Oh god I hope not :/

I am thinking something that can be excess for potential upgrading I guess so I will probably look into it

Yes, as nostall have said, that last loud "pop" could have brought down other components along with it.

As for the power supply upgrade, for a reasonable price, this is a very high quality (Tier 1) unit that comes with excellent warranty:
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

750W is more than enough for your build. New components are now more power efficient. With this power supply, you can even run a 980 Ti if you wanted to. I would recommend forking out for 1000W P2 or G2 PSU if you want to SLI.

Good luck and reply on the results :)

Solution

valiantsmash

Honorable
Feb 8, 2015

Sounds great! I will most definitely look into a 1000w EVGA. I know it may be over kill due to my PCs current build but It may be better in the long run.

Thanks for the great response and great advice! Will keep you updated. should roughly be a week or two.

valiantsmash

Honorable
Feb 8, 2015

Its done and wow it looks awesome!

With a little extra hardware added in the process ;)

Final product: http://imgur.com/9rgfFEJ

Yeah, no damages to the board or other hardware. Seems to be running better then before surprisingly.

Thanks again!

The P2 power supply. Sick!

TRENDING THREADS