Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheikh Tashdeed Ahmed

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2016
Hello, has anybody been able to keep RAM stable at 3200mhz DUAL channel on this motherboard with Ryzen 3000 series CPU? I am using this motherboard. MSI B450 Pro Carbon AC.

My CPU is R7 3700x.

RAM is Gskill Trident Z 32GB GTZR 3200Mhz CL 16; 16GB + 16GB set up.

When I get the speed to anything above 2666Mhz, the system crashes.

Has anybody updated their BIOS on this board to latest version or another version?
If you did, can you get this speed or above on this board with Ryzen 3000 series CPU?

Also, what is your boot time?
For me, after I turn my computer on, the screen stays off for 15 secs and then it shows BIOS screen. The CPU LED light on motherboard stays on for this duration.

Please advise.

Solution
I would say you have a RAM mismatch as what I see you have mixed two kits of 16GB. This is a NO NO and the reason your RAM defaults to 2666MHz

RAM is binned at the manufacturers factory into matched modules to prevent your error from occurring. Even kits that are the same exact spec can mismatch due to the tiny differences in Latency/density.
Here is a summary of your condition and why you should not mix RAM kits:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...e-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-overview

Is the system stable by using just one kit?

The other cause is a failing module so check modules using Memtest86 by booting with a USB to check for errors.

Sometimes the mixing of kits works and sometimes they...
I would say you have a RAM mismatch as what I see you have mixed two kits of 16GB. This is a NO NO and the reason your RAM defaults to 2666MHz

RAM is binned at the manufacturers factory into matched modules to prevent your error from occurring. Even kits that are the same exact spec can mismatch due to the tiny differences in Latency/density.
Here is a summary of your condition and why you should not mix RAM kits:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...e-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-overview

Is the system stable by using just one kit?

The other cause is a failing module so check modules using Memtest86 by booting with a USB to check for errors.

Sometimes the mixing of kits works and sometimes they appear to work only to crash when intensive use comes into play due to instability.

My advice is to return what you have and purchase a single kit 32GB (2x16).

Regarding updating Bios.

It is advisable to update your Bios due to new RAM revisions that come out each month. There is no guarantee you will achieve the rated frequency with OC RAM as it depends on the IMC if it will support that frequency.

The G.Skill RAM you chose should work as a single kit.
Your Ryzen 3700x CPU does support up to 3200MHz.

Boot time depends if you use an SSD or HDD. A decent SSD should take around 20-26 Secs depending on your Bios settings.
If system is in sleep mode then it's almost immediate.

Last edited:
Solution
Check your Timings and Dram Voltage in CPUz. You have the capability to change the Primary SPD timings and Dram Voltage in your Bios.
It may simply need a slight increase in DRAM Voltage to get them to work or a simple change in command rate from 1 to 2.
As with all Overclock RAM it's a matter of trial and error then testing for stability.
OC RAM are not simple plug and play and especially on the AMD Ryzen platform.

Hello, has anybody been able to keep RAM stable at 3200mhz DUAL channel on this motherboard with Ryzen 3000 series CPU? I am using this motherboard. MSI B450 Pro Carbon AC.

My CPU is R7 3700x.

RAM is Gskill Trident Z 32GB GTZR 3200Mhz CL 16; 16GB + 16GB set up.

When I get the speed to anything above 2666Mhz, the system crashes.

Has anybody updated their BIOS on this board to latest version or another version?
If you did, can you get this speed or above on this board with Ryzen 3000 series CPU?

Also, what is your boot time?
For me, after I turn my computer on, the screen stays off for 15 secs and then it shows BIOS screen. The CPU LED light on motherboard stays on for this duration.

Please advise.
Make sure the ram is in the proper slots for dual channel.
Set the speed to 2666.
Boot the OS and make sure it's stable.
Go to the mobo site and install the latest bios....non-beta... and chipset drivers.
Boot a copy of memtest86 and run a pass....no errors allowed.
Bump the ram speed up and test with memtest.
See how high up you can push the speed before it fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.