HELP! Power Supply burned out, Please!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hello all,

Im a new pc builder and have just ran into an enormous problem. First
let me tell you my specs, everything is brand new, except for the
power supply and optical drives:

ANTEC TruePower 480W
ASUS A8N-Deluxe SLI
AMD Athlon 64 3200
WD Raptor 74GB SATA
Maxtor MaxLine III 250 GB SATA
ATI Radeon X700 PCI-express 256MB
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Pioneer DVD-107D burner
Creative 52x CD drive
Floppy Drive
3x Corsair 512MB DDR-DIMM ValueSelect
Couple fans

I built this pc, reading all directions really carefully, took me 3-4
hours, cuz I wanted to make sure everything was correct. I double
checked everything. I plug all the correct wires etc....

So now I come to turning on the pc. I first turned on the power
supply... I saw a light turn on in my case, i believe that was my
motherboard, so thats good. I would like to stress that the computer
was NOT IN USE, this was the first time I turned it on. So now to turn
on the pc, i pressed the ON button......

DAMN, the thing i feared most occurred. I heard a pop and saw a flash,
and the pc did not turn on. A real bad odor came out of the power
supply. So Im assuming the power supply burned out....But PLEASE, for
I cannot afford another computer, tell me that hopefully the other
pieces of hardware are fine.....Again, the computer was NOT IN USE,
this was the first turn on.....

Please, your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-HELP-Power-Supply-burned-ftopict58633.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=296951

"WhiteTree" wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Im a new pc builder and have just ran into an enormous
> problem. First let me tell you my specs, everything is brand
> new, except for the power supply and optical drives:
>
> ANTEC TruePower 480W
> ASUS A8N-Deluxe SLI
> AMD Athlon 64 3200
> WD Raptor 74GB SATA
> Maxtor MaxLine III 250 GB SATA
> ATI Radeon X700 PCI-express 256MB
> Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
> Pioneer DVD-107D burner
> Creative 52x CD drive
> Floppy Drive
> 3x Corsair 512MB DDR-DIMM ValueSelect
> Couple fans
>
> I built this pc, reading all directions really carefully, took
> me 3-4 hours, cuz I wanted to make sure everything was
> correct. I double checked everything. I plug all the correct
> wires etc....
>
> So now I come to turning on the pc. I first turned on the
> power supply... I saw a light turn on in my case, i believe
> that was my motherboard, so thats good. I would like to stress
> that the computer was NOT IN USE, this was the first time I
> turned it on. So now to turn on the pc, i pressed the ON
> button......
>
> DAMN, the thing i feared most occurred. I heard a pop and saw
> a flash, and the pc did not turn on. A real bad odor came out
> of the power supply. So Im assuming the power supply burned
> out....But PLEASE, for I cannot afford another computer, tell
> me that hopefully the other pieces of hardware are
> fine.....Again, the computer was NOT IN USE, this was the
> first turn on.....
>
> Please, your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Just realized this, my room has no electricity, certain sockets,
lights dont work, tv dont work....hmmmm

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Suddenly, without warning, WhiteTree exclaimed (09-Jul-05 7:41 AM):
> "WhiteTree" wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Im a new pc builder and have just ran into an enormous
> > problem. First let me tell you my specs, everything is brand
> > new, except for the power supply and optical drives:
> >
> > ANTEC TruePower 480W
> > ASUS A8N-Deluxe SLI
> > AMD Athlon 64 3200
> > WD Raptor 74GB SATA
> > Maxtor MaxLine III 250 GB SATA
> > ATI Radeon X700 PCI-express 256MB
> > Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
> > Pioneer DVD-107D burner
> > Creative 52x CD drive
> > Floppy Drive
> > 3x Corsair 512MB DDR-DIMM ValueSelect
> > Couple fans
> >
> > I built this pc, reading all directions really carefully, took
> > me 3-4 hours, cuz I wanted to make sure everything was
> > correct. I double checked everything. I plug all the correct
> > wires etc....
> >
> > So now I come to turning on the pc. I first turned on the
> > power supply... I saw a light turn on in my case, i believe
> > that was my motherboard, so thats good. I would like to stress
> > that the computer was NOT IN USE, this was the first time I
> > turned it on. So now to turn on the pc, i pressed the ON
> > button......
> >
> > DAMN, the thing i feared most occurred. I heard a pop and saw
> > a flash, and the pc did not turn on. A real bad odor came out
> > of the power supply. So Im assuming the power supply burned
> > out....But PLEASE, for I cannot afford another computer, tell
> > me that hopefully the other pieces of hardware are
> > fine.....Again, the computer was NOT IN USE, this was the
> > first turn on.....
> >
> > Please, your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Just realized this, my room has no electricity, certain sockets,
> lights dont work, tv dont work....hmmmm

Um... did you check the voltage slider, and make sure (if you're in the
US) that it was set for 110, and not 240?

jmc

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> > Im a new pc builder and have just ran into an enormous
> > problem. First let me tell you my specs, everything is brand
> > new, except for the power supply and optical drives:
> >
> > ANTEC TruePower 480W
> > ASUS A8N-Deluxe SLI
> > AMD Athlon 64 3200
> > WD Raptor 74GB SATA
> > Maxtor MaxLine III 250 GB SATA
> > ATI Radeon X700 PCI-express 256MB
> > Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
> > Pioneer DVD-107D burner
> > Creative 52x CD drive
> > Floppy Drive
> > 3x Corsair 512MB DDR-DIMM ValueSelect
> > Couple fans
> >
> > I built this pc, reading all directions really carefully, took
> > me 3-4 hours, cuz I wanted to make sure everything was
> > correct. I double checked everything. I plug all the correct
> > wires etc....
> >
> > So now I come to turning on the pc. I first turned on the
> > power supply... I saw a light turn on in my case, i believe
> > that was my motherboard, so thats good. I would like to stress
> > that the computer was NOT IN USE, this was the first time I
> > turned it on. So now to turn on the pc, i pressed the ON
> > button......
> >
> > DAMN, the thing i feared most occurred. I heard a pop and saw
> > a flash, and the pc did not turn on. A real bad odor came out
> > of the power supply. So Im assuming the power supply burned
> > out....But PLEASE, for I cannot afford another computer, tell
> > me that hopefully the other pieces of hardware are
> > fine.....Again, the computer was NOT IN USE, this was the
> > first turn on.....
> >
> > Please, your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Just realized this, my room has no electricity, certain sockets,
> lights dont work, tv dont work....hmmmm

One thing to look at: On the I/O panel, in the back, they have these little
pieces on each opening for your ports that are bent inward toward the inside
of the case on most panels supplied with the motherboard. Sometimes, when
you mount your motherboard, you can get one of these things bent - touching
a port and possibly shorting out when you turn it on. This can cause similar
things like you've described, often shorting out some expensive internal
parts with it.

Take a close look at where your ports come out through your I/O panel on the
back of your case and make sure this is not what happened.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

All you can do is replace the PSU and pray

WhiteTree wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Im a new pc builder and have just ran into an enormous problem. First
> let me tell you my specs, everything is brand new, except for the
> power supply and optical drives:
>
> ANTEC TruePower 480W
> ASUS A8N-Deluxe SLI
> AMD Athlon 64 3200
> WD Raptor 74GB SATA
> Maxtor MaxLine III 250 GB SATA
> ATI Radeon X700 PCI-express 256MB
> Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
> Pioneer DVD-107D burner
> Creative 52x CD drive
> Floppy Drive
> 3x Corsair 512MB DDR-DIMM ValueSelect
> Couple fans
>
> I built this pc, reading all directions really carefully, took me 3-4
> hours, cuz I wanted to make sure everything was correct. I double
> checked everything. I plug all the correct wires etc....
>
> So now I come to turning on the pc. I first turned on the power
> supply... I saw a light turn on in my case, i believe that was my
> motherboard, so thats good. I would like to stress that the computer
> was NOT IN USE, this was the first time I turned it on. So now to turn
> on the pc, i pressed the ON button......
>
> DAMN, the thing i feared most occurred. I heard a pop and saw a flash,
> and the pc did not turn on. A real bad odor came out of the power
> supply. So Im assuming the power supply burned out....But PLEASE, for
> I cannot afford another computer, tell me that hopefully the other
> pieces of hardware are fine.....Again, the computer was NOT IN USE,
> this was the first turn on.....
>
> Please, your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks

A power supply can take everything else with it. If you kept your
receipts, you should be able to return/exchange the merchandise.

"" wrote:
> WhiteTree wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Im a new pc builder and have just ran into an enormous
> problem. First
> > let me tell you my specs, everything is brand new, except
> for the
> > power supply and optical drives:
> >
> > ANTEC TruePower 480W
> > ASUS A8N-Deluxe SLI
> > AMD Athlon 64 3200
> > WD Raptor 74GB SATA
> > Maxtor MaxLine III 250 GB SATA
> > ATI Radeon X700 PCI-express 256MB
> > Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
> > Pioneer DVD-107D burner
> > Creative 52x CD drive
> > Floppy Drive
> > 3x Corsair 512MB DDR-DIMM ValueSelect
> > Couple fans
> >
> > I built this pc, reading all directions really carefully,
> took me 3-4
> > hours, cuz I wanted to make sure everything was correct. I
> double
> > checked everything. I plug all the correct wires etc....
> >
> > So now I come to turning on the pc. I first turned on the
> power
> > supply... I saw a light turn on in my case, i believe that
> was my
> > motherboard, so thats good. I would like to stress that the
> computer
> > was NOT IN USE, this was the first time I turned it on. So
> now to turn
> > on the pc, i pressed the ON button......
> >
> > DAMN, the thing i feared most occurred. I heard a pop and
> saw a flash,
> > and the pc did not turn on. A real bad odor came out of the
> power
> > supply. So Im assuming the power supply burned out....But
> PLEASE, for
> > I cannot afford another computer, tell me that hopefully the
> other
> > pieces of hardware are fine.....Again, the computer was NOT
> IN USE,
> > this was the first turn on.....
> >
> > Please, your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> A power supply can take everything else with it. If you kept
> your
> receipts, you should be able to return/exchange the
> merchandise.

I bought all the components online from newegg.com. Do they deal with
these types of accidents? Or do they not deal with accidents due to
human error? That would be real nice if they could replace the
merchandise...

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-HELP-Power-Supply-burned-ftopict58633.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=297187

jad

"WhiteTree" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
> "" wrote:
> > WhiteTree wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > Im a new pc builder and have just ran into an enormous
> > problem. First
> > > let me tell you my specs, everything is brand new, except
> > for the
> > > power supply and optical drives:
> > >
> > > ANTEC TruePower 480W
> > > ASUS A8N-Deluxe SLI
> > > AMD Athlon 64 3200
> > > WD Raptor 74GB SATA
> > > Maxtor MaxLine III 250 GB SATA
> > > ATI Radeon X700 PCI-express 256MB
> > > Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
> > > Pioneer DVD-107D burner
> > > Creative 52x CD drive
> > > Floppy Drive
> > > 3x Corsair 512MB DDR-DIMM ValueSelect
> > > Couple fans
> > >
> > > I built this pc, reading all directions really carefully,
> > took me 3-4
> > > hours, cuz I wanted to make sure everything was correct. I
> > double
> > > checked everything. I plug all the correct wires etc....
> > >
> > > So now I come to turning on the pc. I first turned on the
> > power
> > > supply... I saw a light turn on in my case, i believe that
> > was my
> > > motherboard, so thats good. I would like to stress that the
> > computer
> > > was NOT IN USE, this was the first time I turned it on. So
> > now to turn
> > > on the pc, i pressed the ON button......
> > >
> > > DAMN, the thing i feared most occurred. I heard a pop and
> > saw a flash,
> > > and the pc did not turn on. A real bad odor came out of the
> > power
> > > supply. So Im assuming the power supply burned out....But
> > PLEASE, for
> > > I cannot afford another computer, tell me that hopefully the
> > other
> > > pieces of hardware are fine.....Again, the computer was NOT
> > IN USE,
> > > this was the first turn on.....
> > >
> > > Please, your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >

> > A power supply can take everything else with it. If you kept
> > your
> > receipts, you should be able to return/exchange the
> > merchandise.
>
> I bought all the components online from newegg.com. Do they deal with
> these types of accidents? Or do they not deal with accidents due to
> human error? That would be real nice if they could replace the
> merchandise...

first check for obvious burns- scorches -smells for all the hardware

then, get a PSU and power up just the mboard and proceed to add on
peripherals, checking for boot as you go.

Asking outright for newegg to replace your stuff because you didnt buy/check
the PSU, is not going to happen.

WhiteTree wrote:

> "" wrote:
> > WhiteTree wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > Im a new pc builder and have just ran into an enormous
> > problem. First
> > > let me tell you my specs, everything is brand new, except
> > for the
> > > power supply and optical drives:
> > >
> > > ANTEC TruePower 480W
> > > ASUS A8N-Deluxe SLI
> > > AMD Athlon 64 3200
> > > WD Raptor 74GB SATA
> > > Maxtor MaxLine III 250 GB SATA
> > > ATI Radeon X700 PCI-express 256MB
> > > Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
> > > Pioneer DVD-107D burner
> > > Creative 52x CD drive
> > > Floppy Drive
> > > 3x Corsair 512MB DDR-DIMM ValueSelect
> > > Couple fans
> > >
> > > I built this pc, reading all directions really carefully,
> > took me 3-4
> > > hours, cuz I wanted to make sure everything was correct. I
> > double
> > > checked everything. I plug all the correct wires etc....
> > >
> > > So now I come to turning on the pc. I first turned on the
> > power
> > > supply... I saw a light turn on in my case, i believe that
> > was my
> > > motherboard, so thats good. I would like to stress that the
> > computer
> > > was NOT IN USE, this was the first time I turned it on. So
> > now to turn
> > > on the pc, i pressed the ON button......
> > >
> > > DAMN, the thing i feared most occurred. I heard a pop and
> > saw a flash,
> > > and the pc did not turn on. A real bad odor came out of the
> > power
> > > supply. So Im assuming the power supply burned out....But
> > PLEASE, for
> > > I cannot afford another computer, tell me that hopefully the
> > other
> > > pieces of hardware are fine.....Again, the computer was NOT
> > IN USE,
> > > this was the first turn on.....
> > >
> > > Please, your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >

> > A power supply can take everything else with it. If you kept
> > your
> > receipts, you should be able to return/exchange the
> > merchandise.
>
> I bought all the components online from newegg.com. Do they deal with
> these types of accidents? Or do they not deal with accidents due to
> human error? That would be real nice if they could replace the
> merchandise...

No offense but what evil thing did Newegg do that they should suffer the cost?

manny

WhiteTree wrote:

> ANTEC TruePower 480W
> ASUS A8N-Deluxe SLI
> AMD Athlon 64 3200
> WD Raptor 74GB SATA
> Maxtor MaxLine III 250 GB SATA
> ATI Radeon X700 PCI-express 256MB
> Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
> Pioneer DVD-107D burner
> Creative 52x CD drive
> Floppy Drive
> 3x Corsair 512MB DDR-DIMM ValueSelect
> Couple fans
>
> I built this pc, reading all directions really carefully,
> took me 3-4 hours, cuz I wanted to make sure everything
> was correct.

> So now I come to turning on the pc. I first turned on
> the power supply... I saw a light turn on in my case,
> i believe that was my motherboard, so thats good.

> i pressed the ON button......
>
> DAMN, the thing i feared most occurred. I heard a pop
> and saw a flash, and the pc did not turn on. A real bad
> odor came out of the power supply.

> Just realized this, my room has no electricity, certain
> sockets, lights dont work, tv dont work....hmmmm

Generally, Antecs are good but have been known to fail
right at turn-on, but it's possible your computer shorted
it and its protection failed to work as advertised.
Regardless, you're covered under Antec's 3-year warranty.

Before you receive the replacement, strip the computer down
to its bare essentials and check very carefully for shorts
between the motherboard and case. Verify that the minimal
system works before you reinstall the rest of the hardware
(reinstall incrementally).

WhiteTree wrote:

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote:

> > first check for obvious burns- scorches -smells for all the
> > hardware
> >
> > then, get a PSU and power up just the mboard and proceed to
> > add on peripherals, checking for boot as you go.

> Ive never done this so, what happens if I power up just the mother
> board without any peripherals, you need the video card to see anything
> on the monitor, and harddrives?

Monitors are one of the biggest scams ever perpetrated on the computer
users because even without one it's easy to see what the computer is
doing -- if you truly believe.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Howdy!

"jmc" <NOnewsgroupsSPAM@NOjodiBODY.HOMEus> wrote in message

> Um... did you check the voltage slider, and make sure (if you're in the
> US) that it was set for 110, and not 240?

That's not the problem -setting for 110 when he's on 240V service
WILL cause a flash and a loud "POP!"

Setting 240 in the US tends to make one just not work as it's
getting about 1/2 the voltage it needs ...

RwP

"" wrote:
> "WhiteTree" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in
> message

> > > problem. First
> except
> > > for the

> carefully,
> > > took me 3-4
> correct. I
> > > double
> etc....

> the
> > > power
> that
> > > was my
> the
> > > computer
> So
> > > now to turn

> and
> > > saw a flash,
> the
> > > power
> out....But
> > > PLEASE, for
> hopefully the
> > > other
> NOT
> > > IN USE,

> appreciated.

> > > A power supply can take everything else with it. If you
> kept
> > > your
> > > receipts, you should be able to return/exchange the
> > > merchandise.
> >
> > I bought all the components online from newegg.com. Do they deal with
> > these types of accidents? Or do they not deal with
> accidents due to
> > human error? That would be real nice if they could replace
> the
> > merchandise...
> >

> first check for obvious burns- scorches -smells for all the
> hardware
>
> then, get a PSU and power up just the mboard and proceed to
> add on
> peripherals, checking for boot as you go.
>
> Asking outright for newegg to replace your stuff because you
> didnt buy/check
> the PSU, is not going to happen.
>

> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's
> request
> standards
> > Topic URL:
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-HELP-Power-Supply-burned-ftopict58633.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
> abuse:
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=297187

Ive never done this so, what happens if I power up just the mother
board without any peripherals, you need the video card to see anything
on the monitor, and harddrives?

Thanks

WhiteTree <DoNotEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

> Ive never done this so, what happens if I power up just the
> mother board without any peripherals, you need the video card to
> see anything on the monitor, and harddrives?

If you're talking about the bare minimum components.

No disk drives.

.... mainboard and CPU (always make sure the CPU fan is running)

.... one stick of memory

.... video card

.... keyboard

.... monitor

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 15:07:21 -0500, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
<ralphp@techie.com> wrote:

>Howdy!
>
>"jmc" <NOnewsgroupsSPAM@NOjodiBODY.HOMEus> wrote in message
>

>> Um... did you check the voltage slider, and make sure (if you're in the
>> US) that it was set for 110, and not 240?
>
> That's not the problem -setting for 110 when he's on 240V service
>WILL cause a flash and a loud "POP!"
>
> Setting 240 in the US tends to make one just not work as it's
>getting about 1/2 the voltage it needs ...
>
> RwP

Good point.

I can't speak for everyone but when I have a new PSU, I
power it on BEFORE ever attaching it to expensive equipment.
Even if someone didn't have the skill or DVM to check it,
manufacturing flaws may be revealed with this simple step.
Seldom if ever does a PSU warranty cover the connected
equipment.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On 10 Jul 2005 15:36:57 -0400, WhiteTree
<DoNotEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

>Ive never done this so, what happens if I power up just the mother
>board without any peripherals, you need the video card to see anything
>on the monitor, and harddrives?

To get output to the monitor you'll need at a minimum:

CPU
Heatsink (& fan)
1 memory module
video card (or integral video if/when so equipped)

A keyboard is not necessary, UNTIL you have the need to
input, for example entering the bios configuration menus.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

WhiteTree <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> :
>was NOT IN USE, this was the first time I turned it on. So now to turn
>on the pc, i pressed the ON button......
>
>DAMN, the thing i feared most occurred. I heard a pop and saw a flash,
>and the pc did not turn on. A real bad odor came out of the power
>supply. So Im assuming the power supply burned out....But PLEASE, for
>I cannot afford another computer, tell me that hopefully the other
>pieces of hardware are fine.....Again, the computer was NOT IN USE,
>this was the first turn on.....
My guess is that the rest of your components are fine -- assuming that you
really did have everything hooked up correcty. Over the years I've had a
similar situation happen about 15 times and nothing was ever lost.
Hopefully it will be the same for you. Good luck.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned (More info?)

On 9 Jul 2005 02:41:23 -0400, WhiteTree
<UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>Im a new pc builder and have just ran into an enormous problem. First
>let me tell you my specs, everything is brand new, except for the
>power supply and optical drives:
>
>ANTEC TruePower 480W
>ASUS A8N-Deluxe SLI
>AMD Athlon 64 3200
>WD Raptor 74GB SATA
>Maxtor MaxLine III 250 GB SATA
>ATI Radeon X700 PCI-express 256MB
>Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
>Pioneer DVD-107D burner
>Creative 52x CD drive
>Floppy Drive
>3x Corsair 512MB DDR-DIMM ValueSelect
>Couple fans
>
>I built this pc, reading all directions really carefully, took me 3-4
>hours, cuz I wanted to make sure everything was correct. I double
>checked everything. I plug all the correct wires etc....
>
>So now I come to turning on the pc. I first turned on the power
>supply... I saw a light turn on in my case, i believe that was my
>motherboard, so thats good. I would like to stress that the computer
>was NOT IN USE, this was the first time I turned it on. So now to turn
>on the pc, i pressed the ON button......
>
>DAMN, the thing i feared most occurred. I heard a pop and saw a flash,
>and the pc did not turn on. A real bad odor came out of the power
>supply. So Im assuming the power supply burned out....But PLEASE, for
>I cannot afford another computer, tell me that hopefully the other
>pieces of hardware are fine.....Again, the computer was NOT IN USE,
>this was the first turn on.....
>
>Please, your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks

Agree with most on this.Strip it down and check for shorts on mb and
case.another power supply may work but check first.If you can't get
any beep codes at powerup/boot,then it's the power supply,but i would
look for an underlying problem that caused it in the first place.

"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
> WhiteTree wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Im a new pc builder and have just ran into an enormous problem. First
> > let me tell you my specs, everything is brand new, except for the
> > power supply and optical drives:
> >
> > ANTEC TruePower 480W
> > ASUS A8N-Deluxe SLI
> > AMD Athlon 64 3200
> > WD Raptor 74GB SATA
> > Maxtor MaxLine III 250 GB SATA
> > ATI Radeon X700 PCI-express 256MB
> > Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
> > Pioneer DVD-107D burner
> > Creative 52x CD drive
> > Floppy Drive
> > 3x Corsair 512MB DDR-DIMM ValueSelect
> > Couple fans
> >
> > I built this pc, reading all directions really carefully, took me 3-4
> > hours, cuz I wanted to make sure everything was correct. I double
> > checked everything. I plug all the correct wires etc....
> >
> > So now I come to turning on the pc. I first turned on the power
> > supply... I saw a light turn on in my case, i believe that was my
> > motherboard, so thats good. I would like to stress that the computer
> > was NOT IN USE, this was the first time I turned it on. So now to turn
> > on the pc, i pressed the ON button......
> >
> > DAMN, the thing i feared most occurred. I heard a pop and saw a flash,
> > and the pc did not turn on. A real bad odor came out of the power
> > supply. So Im assuming the power supply burned out....But PLEASE, for
> > I cannot afford another computer, tell me that hopefully the other
> > pieces of hardware are fine.....Again, the computer was NOT IN USE,
> > this was the first turn on.....
> >
> > Please, your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> A power supply can take everything else with it. If you kept your
> receipts, you should be able to return/exchange the merchandise.

And say what? The poster said the PS wasn't new. The other stuff won't be
covered.It's not faulty. Maybe the P/S was a dud but it won't matter to
newegg or any other retailer. How can they cover something like this? I
wouldn't.