[SOLVED] Help powering up Ryzen 5700 xt from ocz700mxsp

Mar 5, 2022
Hello, I'm trying to upgrade my AMD Ryzen RX 570 to a 5700 xt but need help with powering it up.

The old GPU had an 8 pin socket so there's an 8 pin connector ready to go into the new GPU's 8 pin socket, but there's no more power cables available for the 6 pin socket on the new GPU. There are however a few slots on the PSU that I presume would connect from the PSU to the GPU with the right cables.

The PSU has 2 6 pin free sockets on it. There's red coloured connectors connected to the PSU going to an 8 pin cable that's connected into the 8 pin socket on the GPU. IT doesn't power up with just this connected so presume it needs power to the 6 pin socket too?

Can I just get a 6 pin power cable and plug it from one of these empty sockets on the PSU to go into the 6 pin socket on the GPU? There's no free cables that are currently plugged into the PSU.

(Images are of the PSU and 5700 -xt as I currently have them https://postimg.cc/gallery/DJFGBQ6).

Solution
100% the two red cables lead into the 8 pin connector only and nothing else hidden around anywhere. The 4 pin plug I found spare is coming from the cables plugged in below - the black 6 pin ones - and either has a sata or other connection on it earlier.
I don't have an explanation. Maybe that was an older model of that power supply or something. It doesn't match what I can find on the web for that power supply.
You could try contacting the power supply manufacturer. That is an old model so it may not do much good.
You could see if there are aftermarket cables for that EXACT power supply.
Or you can buy a newer power supply with the required connection.
Not any great options.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, I'm trying to upgrade my AMD Ryzen RX 570 to a 5700 xt but need help with powering it up.

The old GPU had an 8 pin socket so there's an 8 pin connector ready to go into the new GPU's 8 pin socket, but there's no more power cables available for the 6 pin socket on the new GPU. There are however a few slots on the PSU that I presume would connect from the PSU to the GPU with the right cables.

The PSU has 2 6 pin free sockets on it. There's red coloured connectors connected to the PSU going to an 8 pin cable that's connected into the 8 pin socket on the GPU. IT doesn't power up with just this connected so presume it needs power to the 6 pin socket too?

Can I just get a 6 pin power cable and plug it from one of these empty sockets on the PSU to go into the 6 pin socket on the GPU? There's no free cables that are currently plugged into the PSU.

(Images are of the PSU and 5700 -xt as I currently have them https://postimg.cc/gallery/DJFGBQ6).
Those 6 pin plugs can not be used for GPU power. They don't have the proper voltages. You need 12VDC for graphics card.
Where does the second RED cable connect ? CPU power ?

Mar 5, 2022
Those 6 pin plugs can not be used for GPU power. They don't have the proper voltages. You need 12VDC for graphics card.
Where does the second RED cable connect ? CPU power ?
Both of the red cables go into the 8 pin cable connected up to the GPU in the picture, and then I think there's a loose 4 pin cable off it too. So maybe I need to reconfigure those red cables/get new ones that have got 8 and 6 pin connectors?

kanewolf

Titan
Both of the red cables go into the 8 pin cable connected up to the GPU in the picture, and then I think there's a loose 4 pin cable off it too. So maybe I need to reconfigure those red cables/get new ones that have got 8 and 6 pin connectors?
The specs for the power supply you listed show that it should have two PCIe power plugs an 8 pin and a 6 pin -- https://www.amazon.com/Power-Cooling-Semi-Modular-Performance-OCZ700MXSP/dp/B001IZ7MHU
So what happened to the 6 pin ?

Mar 5, 2022
The specs for the power supply you listed show that it should have two PCIe power plugs an 8 pin and a 6 pin -- https://www.amazon.com/Power-Cooling-Semi-Modular-Performance-OCZ700MXSP/dp/B001IZ7MHU
So what happened to the 6 pin ?
That's a good question, unfortunately I bought the PC second hand last year and I have it now how it was when I bought it. The 8 pin connector was into the RX 570 and no 6pin in sight, only the possible 4 pin connector, but I can't tell for certain if it's coming off the red cable. Think it's best I just get replacement red cables with 8 and 6 pin connectors? If so, any idea what they are and buy from where? Thank you very much for your help with this, I've got very little ideea about PSUs and cables!

kanewolf

Titan
That's a good question, unfortunately I bought the PC second hand last year and I have it now how it was when I bought it. The 8 pin connector was into the RX 570 and no 6pin in sight, only the possible 4 pin connector, but I can't tell for certain if it's coming off the red cable. Think it's best I just get replacement red cables with 8 and 6 pin connectors? If so, any idea what they are and buy from where? Thank you very much for your help with this, I've got very little ideea about PSUs and cables!
I would DOUBLE check the second red plug cable. Be sure that it isn't just tucked behind the motherboard.
Some more pictures of the cabling might allow me to help you.

Mar 5, 2022
I would DOUBLE check the second red plug cable. Be sure that it isn't just tucked behind the motherboard.
Some more pictures of the cabling might allow me to help you.
100% the two red cables lead into the 8 pin connector only and nothing else hidden around anywhere. The 4 pin plug I found spare is coming from the cables plugged in below - the black 6 pin ones - and either has a sata or other connection on it earlier.

kanewolf

Titan
I don't have an explanation. Maybe that was an older model of that power supply or something. It doesn't match what I can find on the web for that power supply.
You could try contacting the power supply manufacturer. That is an old model so it may not do much good.
Not any great options.

Solution
Mar 5, 2022

Not any great options.
Yeah, I think maybe whoever had it before got custom cables maybe and set it up as it currently is. I've managed to find a supplier (https://modpc.co.uk) who will get me replacement 6 and 8 pin cables thankfully so will go with those otherwise it was looking like a new PSU.