[SOLVED] Help prevent CPU noise during low usage (I suspect a BIOS setting might solve it)

Mar 2, 2021
Just recently built a PC with 10700K and it constantly makes a weird ass high-pitched noise (it's like 3 sec noise, a short pause - maybe 100 ms - and then again the noise - this goes on 24/7) and now I finally had an eureka moment, when I realized it only does it under low load. I started Prime95 to test my hypothesis and suddenly the noise disappeared.

I tried to set Windows on High performance (so it wouldn't throttle my CPU during inactivity) but that doesn't help. Seems it actually needs to be under usage, just removing the underclock doesn't work.
Do you have any ideas what could I do? Maybe increase the minimum voltage in BIOS, or change some settings... (I recall Intel CPUs having some sort of power saving features, maybe those?)

i7-10700K
MSI MEG Z490 ACE
latest UEFI BIOS, cca January 2021

Solution
For future reference, I "solved" it by disabling C-states. Nothing else worked (even tried limiting it to C0, but until I specifically changed "C-states" to Disabled it was making the noise).
Mar 2, 2021
For future reference, I "solved" it by disabling C-states. Nothing else worked (even tried limiting it to C0, but until I specifically changed "C-states" to Disabled it was making the noise).

Solution

Latest posts