Help! Problem with New Build - either M/B or PSU...

Davidoff

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
:?

Just built a new system based on Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 m/b, using an Antec Sonata II case (with 450W PSU) - both bought from "MicroDirect", here in the UK..

The only problem is that the thing doesn't power up - all I get is a power light and a few fans spinning (on processor, video card and case).

I'm assuming that there's a problem with either the m/b or the PSU but I was hoping that you guys could suggest how best to determine which it is??

I have so far tried the Antec PSU in another PC and tried another working PSU (only 200W one though!) in the new PC and I get similar results to that already experienced. In other words, both tests have failed to establish which is at fault - apart from indicating that there is a problem with both m/b and PSU!!

Any suggestions would be greatfully received.

Cheers,

Keith

georgebeee

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003
when you try the antec psu in the other system you're saying it does the same thing?

and perhaps you should give a more thorough listing of your hardware configuration

is your harddrive connected correctly?

pat

Expert
:?

Just built a new system based on Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 m/b, using an Antec Sonata II case (with 450W PSU) - both bought from "MicroDirect", here in the UK..

The only problem is that the thing doesn't power up - all I get is a power light and a few fans spinning (on processor, video card and case).

I'm assuming that there's a problem with either the m/b or the PSU but I was hoping that you guys could suggest how best to determine which it is??

I have so far tried the Antec PSU in another PC and tried another working PSU (only 200W one though!) in the new PC and I get similar results to that already experienced. In other words, both tests have failed to establish which is at fault - apart from indicating that there is a problem with both m/b and PSU!!

Any suggestions would be greatfully received.

Cheers,

Keith

You have to plug the ATX12v power into the 4 pins socket near the main connector. that's the one with black and yellow wire. Not the one that was attatched to the main power...

tahoe5280

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
BTW, in case you haven't solved your problem yet, a thoroughly detailed description of ALL your hardware would be helpful.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Are any of the lights on the drives on solid when this happens? Also, do you get a post beep? I would try to reseat everything, graphics card, RAM and make sure the cables are securely and positioned correctly. Start there first, if that doesn't work, try reseating the CPU and HSF. I think that power supply has enough juice to run it and I think its just something simple. Let us know and good luck

tahoe5280

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Like luminaris mentioned, if the fans are spinning, it sounds like you are getting power to the system. What kind of memory are you using?

Are you sure the memory you're using is supported by this board? I Googled "asrock forum" and couldn't find anything official looking, and I checked the support section of asrock's official website, but I couldn't find a link to an official tech support forum (that really sucks, in my opinion).

However, I did find a forum that has a section specifically for ASRock boards, and looking at the "last post date" of the first page of the forum, it looks like it is active.

http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwb/ultimatebb.php?/forum/30.html

Back to your problem, however. Many of the newer high-end boards have stability issues when using cheap value ram. I know the high-end Abit and DFI boards are like that, so if you are using cheap ram, you might want to swap in some good stuff, or check the manufacturer's site to see if your ram has been verified to work with that particular mobo.