Help: Problems changing slave to master

G

I have a Maxtor HDD 15 GB drive, Model: 51536H2. I am having problems changing my hard drive's setting from a Secondary slave to a Primary Master. I have tried to change the sequence in the Cmos, as well as, the jumper settings. I went to Maxtor's site to verify that the jumper setting I have the drive set to is corrrect, but still it keeps being recognized as a slave. The drive is supposed to be new, and therefore it seems I shouldn't have this problem. I have installed new drives before and have never come across this scenario. Please Help!

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Tell us more. Do you just have the one hard drive installed? What kind of cable are you using?

<font color=blue>Remember. You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

G

There's only one IDE Hard drive connected. Using 40 pin IDE cable.

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Well I live north of the Red River and with the trouble we have both had with our football teams lately I think our luck is the same. I just got my first dead on arrival Creative CD-rom out of the box. Sounds like your hard drive is the same.

<font color=blue>Remember. You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
That's an incorrect statement. The Maxtor drives will only need one or they don't need any. Depends on if you enable cylinder limitation or not.

Master -=- J50
Master w/ Cylinder Limitation -=- J50 + J46
Slave -=- No jumpers are needed, but shows two going horizontal.
**Note - Any jumper going horizontal isn't being used.
Slave w/ Cylinder Limitation -=- J46

<font color=red>1GHz AMD x MSI K7T-Turbo x 512MB PC133 x 2-Maxtor 30GB/RAID 0 = Stream Line Butterfly</font color=red>