Question Help.. PSU fried?

Scrotie McBoogerballs

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
Okay, not sure if this is the right place to ask this..

I heard a loud 'pop' sound but not exactly sure where its coming from, maybe my room and i think from inside my desktop, and then my entire house had a blackout. Once we had electricity back up, i tried to switch on my comp but nothing is turning on. Been trying for an hour, took out my atx casing, blew out all the dust, i didnt see anything charred or anything. What could be happening? What should i do next? I am still thinking where that 'pop' sound is coming from? maybe the PSU? please help.

List your PC specs, including the exact model of your PSU.

From what you described, your PSU may have blown. The trip swtich in your house 'tripped' so nothing else would overload. It's a protection feature of the circuitry in your home.

The only way to be sure, is to get a lend of a PSU, buy one, or bring to a repair store for them to test.

It's very possible some of the hardware in your case may be affected.

Scrotie McBoogerballs

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
I’ll put up the full list of specs once I get home. But I. remember my psu is a seasonic x-series 750 modular gold.. I took it out of my atx casing too and tried to see what’s wrong but didn’t see anything amissed but I did hearing something shaking inside like there’s a screw loose inside and jumping ard when I shake the psu.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Okay, not sure if this is the right place to ask this..

I heard a loud 'pop' sound but not exactly sure where its coming from, maybe my room and i think from inside my desktop, and then my entire house had a blackout. Once we had electricity back up, i tried to switch on my comp but nothing is turning on. Been trying for an hour, took out my atx casing, blew out all the dust, i didnt see anything charred or anything. What could be happening? What should i do next? I am still thinking where that 'pop' sound is coming from? maybe the PSU? please help.

Yes it's your PSU tripping the box. Please buy a new one as it can affect your household electricity. If you force it, the next one that will trip will be your board's anti-surge protection and that's not good for your system.

Signs and symptoms of a faulty PSU:
  • tripping electricity
  • tripping board anti surge protection indicating PSU
  • tripping AVR
  • electric shock everywhere (from case to monitor)
  • dimming lights when PSU/PC is turned on.
  • unusual fan/led lights behaviour
  • boot loop, no boot, no signal, boot occassionally
  • static and wavy monitor
  • freezing computer|
  • persisting hard drive corruption even when fixed
  • system slow down
  • BSoD
  • popping sound
  • burning plastic smell
  • smoke
  • flash of light from the PSU
  • unusual PSU power plug electric spark when plugged in the outlet.
NOTE: Multimeter can confuse you but it might show a little instability. It's a good sign of unstable PSU. Clip testing won't do anything unless it's already dead or died while in the process.

Last edited:
It could be that either your PSU went bad (unlikely with a Seasonic, but not impossible) or you had a brown out from the power grid that popped your PSU (much more likely) since your entire house went dark.

In either case it sounds like you need a new PSU...I would contact Seasonic support and see if they'll do a warranty repair/replacement since that's a really nice PSU.

I would also recommend you buy and use an appropriately sized UPS for your PC to protect yourself from power company issues.

Last edited:

Scrotie McBoogerballs

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
Hi all, thanks for all the responses and feedback. I wasn't able to find a spare PSU so i'm likely going to get a new PSU later today and am looking at the cosair RM750i. Will test it and update you guys. Or is there any PSU that you would highly recommend?

My specs:
intel i7 4790 3.6Ghz 8mb LGA1150 CPU
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H- BK black edition
Hitachi 1TB 3.5" 32mb Enterprise
Cosair vengence pro 1600 16GB (2 X8) CL9
Asus GTX970 DCII strix 4GB GDDR5 OC
Fractal Define R5 black
Seasonic X series 750W modular gold
Creative sound blaster Audigy RX7.1

That’s not a bad choice but don’t deliberately avoid the Seasonic model you had before. If there was some sort of surge from the grid that the psu couldn’t isolate it has most likely done its job by sacrificing itself instead of allowing your system to fry. Just because the psu is now dead does not mean it did anything wrong.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
That’s not a bad choice but don’t deliberately avoid the Seasonic model you had before. If there was some sort of surge from the grid that the psu couldn’t isolate it has most likely done its job by sacrificing itself instead of allowing your system to fry. Just because the psu is now dead does not mean it did anything wrong.

Yea. Had a PSU fried by the grid. It was the time that the grid is experiencing power outage and frequent brown outs so.. yea. Can be.

Also, that was the time i had no UPS nor AVR and the ground prong removed.

Scrotie McBoogerballs

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
Okie.. bought a cosair rm 750x. What happened next was not very pleasant :(

After mounting up the psu and powering on the pc, i see lightings coming from my motherboard and my fan started spinning. Was happy at first until i saw smoke coming out of my motherboard , more specially at the sata3 connector area.

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/4Retp5l

Now my cables look like this..
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/vrPWwEe

My cable is connected to my hard disk and the I think my hard disk is fried too.. at the areas where the pin goes in.. still feels hot when I hold it.
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/sUWlMuD

Now when I remove my cables that connects to my hard disk, I can power up my pc, just unable to detect any bootable devices. When I connect my cables and connect to my hard disk and power on, the fan spins for a second and stopped..

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Okie.. bought a cosair rm 750x. What happened next was not very pleasant :(

After mounting up the psu and powering on the pc, i see lightings coming from my motherboard and my fan started spinning. Was happy at first until i saw smoke coming out of my motherboard , more specially at the sata3 connector area.

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/4Retp5l

Now my cables look like this..
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/vrPWwEe

My cable is connected to my hard disk and the I think my hard disk is fried too.. at the areas where the pin goes in.. still feels hot when I hold it.
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/sUWlMuD

Now when I remove my cables that connects to my hard disk, I can power up my pc, just unable to detect any bootable devices. When I connect my cables and connect to my hard disk and power on, the fan spins for a second and stopped..

Seems like a "short" for me. Have you checked all the power cables that connects the PSU to the motherboard? Saying ALL means ALL of it. Including cables that powers the fans and everything. Make sure nothing's touching a place where it isn't meant to be

Also, please check if you have a stand off in the wrong place. The one that separates the mobo from the case. BTW, throw the SATA cables away and get a new one.

Last edited:

Scrotie McBoogerballs

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Oh no.. I think I swapped out all except for the one that connects to the hard disk.
The pin layout of the old cable for my seasonic psu looks like this:
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/hqes0Al

The pin layout for the new cable for my cosair psu looks like this:
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/Km5DGOB

Did I mess up? :(

Yes, if you can confirm that it was accidentally swapped.

Mixing PSU modular cables can kill components especially the hard drives. They are not meant to be swapped from each other.

Mixing PSU Modular Cables Can Kill Your Components

Last edited:

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
that is for the seasonic
XKXm2al.png

that is for the corsair type 4

D7M5mXc.png

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
<Mod Edit> happens mate , but it could have been worse , hopefully the motherboard is still ok ,
I was asking initially about the voltage main that you have is it 220 or 110 ? because I suspect that brownouts would damage your PSU in this way , so I think what happened was a power surge and it damaged (sacrificed) the varistor in your old PSU
so initially i was going to add that you should get a surge protector to your system to prevent surges from damaging your PC

Last edited by a moderator:

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, crossing my fingers. On modular PSUs, the pinouts are only standardized on the part that connects to the component. The pinouts for the side that connects to the PSU itself are absolutely not standardized and you have the potential to destroy anything that's connected with a modular cable without the proper pinout for the PSU in question.

I'm glad to hear that it was only the hard drive. There's a very good chance it's gone to the undiscovered country. Sometimes we get people who destroy their motherboards, GPUs, CPUs, EVERYTHING.

Scrotie McBoogerballs

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
Okay. Apologies for the lack of update. So i went ahead to get a new pc, changed everything including the motherboard, got a new hard disk and using back the corsair PSU that i bought.

The old harddisk though.. was thinking if i can still repair it. The SATA connector is the thing that was damaged so i was reading on the internet that replacing the pcb board with a new one might get it working again. I purchased the PCB which arrived today, same firmware and revision number as the old one. I replaced the old PCB with the new one but it still can't detect my hd when i turn on the computer. The gd thing even though i still can't detect the old harddisk with the new pcb is that i can now feel the harddisk spinning where i previously can't with the old pcb.

Researched further on the internet and read that i may need to move the bios chip from the old pcb to the new one but i dont know which one is it. Can some one tell me which one is it?
View: https://i.imgur.com/olxG8YB.jpg