[SOLVED] HELP: PSU Popped and Flashed when I turned the power on (power outage too)

Jul 1, 2020
PC Specs:
CPU - i9 9900k
GPU - Titan RTX
MOBO - Asus Rog Maximus Hero
RAM - 64GB DDR4 3200 Mhz
SSD - 2TB Nvme
PSU - TX850M Corsair

Hi guys, I am in need of some real big advice.

I recently have built a new PC around a month ago which I use for gaming/AI design&testing. A week ago, my PC would no longer power on, turns out the fuse blew in the cable I was using for the PSU. So I replaced the cable being the rookie I am, thinking this would fix the issue. However, it did not.

Skip to this weekend, I played a lot of games on Saturday. When I went to start the PC on Sunday, I heard a loud pop and the power went off in my room. I had to go and switch the fuse switch back on and the PC would not turn on (whenever I try and turn it on now, it causes a power outage).

Today, I then tried turning my back on, I plugged the PC in and flipped the PSU switch on and then saw a flash with a pop.

I have checked inside the PC and nothing smells burnt or nothing has gone brown. I am worried that my other parts may be friend or broken ( I hope not as my wallet would not be happy :S )

What are the next steps for me to take?

Thanks,

Andrew

Solution
Remove power from device and don't leave connected. (fire hazzard)
  1. Get a replacement for the power supply
  2. While waiting for power supply check all cables for shorts, cut or damaged wires, Standoffs on MB don't touch any circuit traces.
You won't be able to determine other damage without power supply.
  2. While waiting for power supply check all cables for shorts, cut or damaged wires, Standoffs on MB don't touch any circuit traces.

Solution
PC Specs:
CPU - i9 9900k
GPU - Titan RTX
MOBO - Asus Rog Maximus Hero
RAM - 64GB DDR4 3200 Mhz
SSD - 2TB Nvme
PSU - TX850M Corsair

Hi guys, I am in need of some real big advice.

I recently have built a new PC around a month ago which I use for gaming/AI design&testing. A week ago, my PC would no longer power on, turns out the fuse blew in the cable I was using for the PSU. So I replaced the cable being the rookie I am, thinking this would fix the issue. However, it did not.

Skip to this weekend, I played a lot of games on Saturday. When I went to start the PC on Sunday, I heard a loud pop and the power went off in my room. I had to go and switch the fuse switch back on and the PC would not turn on (whenever I try and turn it on now, it causes a power outage).

Today, I then tried turning my back on, I plugged the PC in and flipped the PSU switch on and then saw a flash with a pop.

I have checked inside the PC and nothing smells burnt or nothing has gone brown. I am worried that my other parts may be friend or broken ( I hope not as my wallet would not be happy :S )

What are the next steps for me to take?

Thanks,

Andrew

HIGHLY UNLIKELY anything was "fried" in the process.

Contact Corsair: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000914791

Jul 1, 2020

if any other part of the PC were Broken eg graphics card, would the graphics card smell burnt?