help..radeon 9200 SE

lord_tyranus2

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2003
I know its a pretty crappy video card, but for $40 for a 128 meg card I could not refuse.

Its stock settings are 200/165, I have it currently overclocked to 240/190. I can run UT2K3 fine. I am hesitant to overclock further, though I haven't tried it. When I run call of duty demo, it crashes quite often. It freezes and I am forced to cntrl-alt-delete. I reverted to stock settings and it still crashes. I have the newest Radeon drivers, but I notice that the 9200 isn't often mentioned in the 'supported video cards' file in games.

1. Are my problems in CoD related to the game, driver, or card itself?
2. What exactly are 'artifacts'? From watching a friend overclock, I noticed that if you took it to far, the screen started becoming blotchy in places.
3. Can I overclock my card further? Extra framerate is nice.

cleeve

Illustrious
1. Your problems are probably related to your overclock. I'd tone it down and see if it's more stable.

2. Yes, blotchy in places. Anyting that looks very wrong... black dots, texture tearing.

3. You can overclock as far as you like, but remember that artifacts are not the only thing you have to avoid. Crashing and instability is also a problem you can get with overclocking... and it sounds like you might have already strateched beyond that limitation.

------------------
Radeon 9500 (modded to PRO w/8 pixel pipelines)
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3529

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
We joke about "SE" meaning "Stripped edition" even though it stands for "Second Edition"

If Radeon 8500 or Radeon 9000 is mentioned in the "supported video cards" than your Radeon 9200 SE will be supported as well because these chips sport the exact same API feature set.

What exactly are 'artifacts'?
Artifacts are little splotches that randomly appear & dissapear on the screen. They usually appear when there is heat issue or the GPU core is taking damage, or if someone is running a Radeon 9500 card with a failed softmod.

Can I overclock my card further? Extra framerate is nice.
Probably not since your experiencing so many crashes now that you have overclocked. IN fact I would suggest toning down the speeds some. What are the standard specs for your card? Sorry, I'm just too lazy to research that right now. Normally I'm not thatway but you probably have a box nearby right? If you can't find the box or its stashed way in the back corner of your attic, then I'll probably look it up for ya. Extra framerate is indeed nice, but not at the cost of system stability. Besides, the Radeon 9200SE is not an enthusiast's or mid-range product so I wouldn't expect much Overclocking potential. If your happy with the performance at stock speeds I probably wouldn't go to much above that. I still have my Radeon 8500LE 128MB & its a very nice card still, I paid only $100 for it over a year ago now. Its pretty similar to what you've got.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

cleeve

Illustrious
heheh, quick on the draw today.

Oh, by the way... alot of developers don't bother listing the 9200 separately because it's basically a radeon 9000 with 8x AGP support. So if a game supports the Radeon 9000 you should be good to go.

If memory serves, the 9200 SE is a neutered Radeon 9200 with a 64 bit memory interface instead of a 128 bit memory interface... although it might just be an underclocked 9200. Not sure.

------------------
AMD AthlonXP 2000+

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Have you tried downloading the latest update to your game?

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

lord_tyranus2

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2003
OK further testing:

Frozen Throne runs 1152*864 fine.
UT2003 runs 1152*864 fine at settings up to 260/195.
Jedi Academy crashes. At stock, at max underclocking (160/130), at my normal.
Call of duty crashes. At stock and my normal settings.
Jedi Knight II crashes at stock.

OS is windows XP. Demos were all downloaded in the past couple days.

O, and its a powercolor. Maybe thats the source of all the problems. RMA? If I do, ill upgrade to TI4200.

cleeve

Illustrious
What's your powersupply rated at? Sounds very much like it could be an overloaded powersupply problem.

------------------
AMD AthlonXP 2000+

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
We joke about "SE" meaning "Stripped edition" even though it stands for "Second Edition"
"SE" stands for "Stupid edition" in case of Radeon 9200SE.

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

lord_tyranus2

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2003
450 watts, allied brand, ill give specs later. hooked up I have

2 optical drives
1 HD
1 floppy
1 zip
1 sound card
1 modem
1 ethernet
1 graphics card

not THAT heavy a load, power supply shouldn't be a problem.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
SE stands for Second Edition with Windows maybe, but that's not what it stands for here I don't think.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm sorry, but I doubt that card could outperform a GeForce2 Ti, which cost about the same. I mean, it's a very lame card. If you could have gotten a 9100 64MB card, it would have given you at least 50% better performance methinks.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

cleeve

Illustrious
Your right, a 450 watter should be just fine.

Did you try using less aggressive memory timings in the bios?

------------------
AMD AthlonXP 2000+

barnettgs

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2003
Why do you run games at such high res of 1152*864? For me, 1024x768 or 800x600 are fine by me.

Try running 1024x768 or 800x600 on your games which has crashed earlier...

lord_tyranus2

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2003
timings are 8-3-3-2.5, but I never thought of altering them. I don't see how that would impact game performance specifically. If there were problems in that department, wouldn't the system crash out of game?

lord_tyranus2

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2003
in my tests I started off at 1024-768. If it functioned I went on to 1152*864 (my monitor's max res). If it didn't I backed down to 800*600. If I mentioned a crash, it crashed at this resolution.

But in any case, I should be able to get 1024*768 on all current games with this card I am thinking.

cleeve

Illustrious
It would have a minimal impact on performance, but it could have a large impact on stability when the system is under load (like a high-bandwith consuming video game)

You can always change your settings back, but setting your latencies higher is worth a try.

------------------
AMD AthlonXP 2000+