[SOLVED] Help: Ram wont work in dual channel slots?

JTidfk

Commendable
Mar 12, 2020
Before i get into the issue, here are the specs:

Motherboard: MSI z370 A- pro
RAM: G.skill RipJaws 32GB, (16x2)
Cpu:Intel I-9 9900k

For some reason the new Ram i got refuses to work in dual channel slots (1 and 3 or 2 and 4) but will work with only one stick in, or both right next to each other. With both in dual channel the keyboard, monitor, mouse, nothing will light up. I have pretty much tried every slot and they all work individually. I put this Ram in the same slots i had my old Ram sticks in yesterday and they don't work, which is baffling since it worked with the old ones (tried the old ones in dual channel, doesn't work anymore either).

Already checked before hand and all the parts are fully compatible, any suggestions? Like doing anything in bios? Thanks!

Solution
I’d agree it could be faulty RAM. An option is using 1 stick at a time and running MemTest for about 4 passes.

However I noticed your motherboard choice. The VRM’s on that motherboard are not up to the power requirements of a 9900k. Although technically compatible that combination is going to end up with problems.

JTidfk

Commendable
Mar 12, 2020
Did you buy the RAM together?

It's entirely possible you got a bad stick, its rare but happens. Return them to the store if possible, or contact GSKill if not.
Hm, but my old sticks wont work dual channel either? Atleast i dont think they do, my pc even says i have 32 gbs of ram in, just wont work if its in 1 and 3.

I’d agree it could be faulty RAM. An option is using 1 stick at a time and running MemTest for about 4 passes.

However I noticed your motherboard choice. The VRM’s on that motherboard are not up to the power requirements of a 9900k. Although technically compatible that combination is going to end up with problems.

Solution

JTidfk

Commendable
Mar 12, 2020

Damn really? They even made patches for the I-9, can that harm any hardware?
Edit: Motherboard is kind of an old choice, I’ve upgraded everything but the motherboard, even graphics to 2080ti.

Damn really? They even made patches for the I-9, can that harm any hardware?
I’d expect with prolonged use yes the VRM’s could suffer damage. This is a common problem, they allow the high end powerful CPU’s to run on entry level boards but that doesn’t mean it’s advisable. You will likely run into throttling problems at stock speeds under any moderate load. The i9 9900k is a beast, it requires a high end motherboard with strong VRM’s and a high end cooling solution to even run stock.

JTidfk

Commendable
Mar 12, 2020
I’d expect with prolonged use yes the VRM’s could suffer damage. This is a common problem, they allow the high end powerful CPU’s to run on entry level boards but that doesn’t mean it’s advisable. You will likely run into throttling problems at stock speeds under any moderate load. The i9 9900k is a beast, it requires a high end motherboard with strong VRM’s and a high end cooling solution to even run stock.
What hardware could this harm? After a day of testing I haven’t run into any issue, and the temp is fine. Motherboard recommendations?

What hardware could this harm? After a day of testing I haven’t run into any issue, and the temp is fine. Motherboard recommendations?
The motherboard is the main component at risk. It’s VRM’s temps and not cpu temperatures that are the problem.

I haven’t kept up to date with Z390 options as I’d not personally look at a 9900k. If you search Toms you will find threads where others have asked. Toms best boards of 2020 https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/best-motherboards,3984.html This seems interesting with 11 power phases and a heatspreader on the VRM’s as opposed to the 6 power phase with no heatspreader on your current board. Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X

Last edited: