Help: Random black screen with PC running (Windows 10 + GTX760)

Status
Not open for further replies.

costin96

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
Hello,

I just switched from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Education (both geniue OEM licenses).
I had installed Windows 10 cleanly (full SSD/HDD formats, installed drivers, updated motherboard BIOS and so on). Now, I have -alot- of problems with random black screens.

Those "black screens" appear randomly, but ONLY IN BROWSING/IDLE (not in gaming). The screen just goes off for 1-2 secounds and then comes right back on. While the screen is off, if I attempt to press any keyboard key, or media keys, (typing, or maybe change the volume), I would hear some beep sounds.

Nothing else goes wrong or crashes while screen goes black for 2 seconds.

What I tried (without any luck):
- tested screen on other PC
- tested cable
- checked Event Viewer to see if something popps up. Nothing strange was detected
- removed my GPU and cleaned it (atlhough it was clean and it has ~32C in idle)
- reinstaled the GPU Drivers in SafeMode, with DDU (DisplayDriverUninstaller). Also disabled windows update for drivers, to make sure I get the latest drivers from GeForceExperience
- raided nVidia forums and everything I could find useful.

Specs:
CPU: i5 4690k
Mobo: asus z97-k
GPU: Gigabyte GTX760 (3x windforce version) 2GB
PSU: HighPower Sirtec 500W bronze (4+ years old, but system doesn't crash in full load with furmark + cpu stress test so I assume it won't have any reason to crash in idle)

Any help would be really apreciated :(.

Thanks

FrancisQ

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Did these issues occur whit Windows 7 installed or just Windows 10? If its only Windows 10 it might be that the drivers for your GPU aren't compatible with the new OS, if you have installed new drivers for Windows 10 and if the cable is not the issue it might be a faulty GPU causing the problem. You should try testing your GPU in another pc or use your old GPU (if you have one) to see if the black screens still occur with the old GPU.

costin96

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
Hello, thanks for the reply.
It only occured on Windows 10. On windows 7 it was all workign flawlessly. The GPU is not faulty, I've tested it on a PC with Windows 7.
I don't have another GPU to test on my own PC, tho'.

This morning, after I installed the GPU drivers using DDU (uninstalled them from safe mode, blocked windows update and then installed from GeForce Experience), I had 2 new updates in windows update, both for my GTX760. I didn't installed them, but they seem that they vanished away.
I didn't had the black screen problem for like 3 hours, now that the updates are there/installed by Windows itself I have it...

Any ideea how to stop specific updates from installing again? I'd do another uninstall and clean install, but I need to tell Windows not to install nVidia stuff on it's own in bthe background.

Thanks

FrancisQ

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Well then there is not doubt that the issue lies in Windows 10 as it is a new OS and compatibility issues arise from every corner. Yes, there is a way to stop updates but I'm not sure if you can do it completely. I found this post which has detailed instructions on how to stop automatic updates, hope it helps and keep me updated.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

costin96

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
Hello again.

Baiscally I think I might have found the culpit. Whenever I start Mozilla Firefox and enter on youtube to watch some videos it starts with black screen errors. Although, I am not aware at this point what really might cause this.

Played 5 hours Dishonored today, no problem. I entered Steam Overlay (Shift+Tab from game), accesed a youtube link, black screen.

Gone in desktop, idle, started mozzilla, accesed youtube, black screen.

I am not fully sure if they are connected, but they tend to happen only then.

FrancisQ

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
It could be the browser causing the problems but I can't be sure of that, it might be a problem with youtube as it is a video streaming service, maybe there is some interference between the gpu drivers and the mozilla scripts that make youtube cause the black screens but I'm only making stuff up as i go. Try using chrome and see if the problem persists.

Peter_4

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015
SOLVED
I had this random blackout problem but solved it.
I have an HDMI cable running from my PC (Windows 10) to my TV.
I investigated every possibility (i.e. GPU temp etc) then unplugged this cable and the problem disappeared.
I am guessing the black screen comes on when the PC makes a call to the TV set up as a duplicate screen but is not powered up.
Hope this helps - it was driving me nuts!

costin96

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015

I fixed it. It's a bug cause by Microsoft. Still not repaied since April 2015.
Steps to reproduce: change the volume using keyboard media keys or laptop FN keys. It will go black in a couple of seconds.

Good job microsoft!

laptop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvCS5PJ5Wlw
pc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0C41X5VBfQ

Thanks for trying to help.

FrancisQ

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013

No problem, glad you found the solution to the problem.

MrChicha

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
costin96, I finally found someone with a problem close to what I have.

I have a Sager NP9570 running 2 GTX 770M on SLI mode.

I've been getting random black screens, at some point I also thought it was Firefox since the same thing happened to me. I tried a lot of things.

• Disabling SLI
    Uninstalling nvidia Gforce experience.
    Installing all latest drivers.
    Unplugging devices from pc to test if it was something else since sometimes I had BSOD (cause by something else).
    Adjusting power settings.
    Removing battery.
    There was never a minidump file since it went black, not blue.
    Clean w10 install.

Nothing worked, so I decided to do what for me was the last step, which was downgrade to w8.1. Now everything's ok, no more black screen.

Now the following step for me is to install W10 on another SSD to see if I can fix it and then try upgrading to W10 again on the main SSD. I plan to call Sager support and see If I can post my problem on forums but meanwhile I found this!

How did you solve it?

Ghady

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

yep having the same problem please if you find a solution email it to me @ Ghadykhalil@gmail.com

SeerOfChaos

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015
I have a z97 asus board to, and when I installed windows 10 I get "random" black screens. Sometimes it goes as far as to say the tv can not find the correct input. Usually comes back in a second, rarer times, take a good bit.

I have a feeling this issue might be Asus z97 when combined with Windows 10. I just completely removed my video card and used onboard video to confirm it had nothing to do with video card.

Think it is some type of HDCP handshake error

Oh and all of you having this problem, I assume are using a "TV" as well not a monitor?

Sorry forgot that third requirement ^_^

nyrull

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015
I don't know for you guys,but i had the same problem,Windows 10 - screen flickers,goes on and off in games or surfing the web.

Im connected to my hdtv in hdmi.

I think i solved my problem, when i right click on desktop and choose Display setting,i can see 2 monitor. My TV and another one.The other one is not detected. Scroll down to Advance Display Settings and click it. In the new windows select the second display and scroll down to Display Adapter Property and click it. Another window open,click the tab Monitor then Properties and disable.

In Device Manager for short it was under Monitor=>Generic PnP Monitor, disable it. Thats how i fixed it for me.

PS:Sorry for my poor english XD.

valstewart

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016
Greetings, I also had the same issue after upgrading from windows 7 pro to win 10 pro. I followed the forums and found the same answers about video cards, but none of these worked. I am a computer tech and working on problems is not new to me. Finding an answer for my computer problem took a lot of work but eventually was traced to the windows 10 install and my applications. After testing my hardware in another system and finding no issues, I decided to reinstall windows 10 as it might be an OS issue. During the re-install, you are given three options, one to keep your apps and files, one to keep only your apps, and finally, one to wipe the drive clean. I tried the first and kept the apps and this did nothing, but on the second option that kept only my files, this completely cured the problem. While this may not be your answer, it is certainly an option to try. Good luck. - Val

Michael_265

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
"In Device Manager for short it was under Monitor=>Generic PnP Monitor, disable it. Thats how i fixed it for me."

Wow. That seems to have fixed this "persistent bank screen" within two minutes if no user activity.

This would have never occurred to me.

Thank you 'nyrull' and kudos.

Michael_265

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016

Well bummer, the next day the 'problem' returned.

And by 'problem' I mean the screen going blank if no activity on the Windows 10 Toshiba laptop for over two minutes.

PLAN B
This time I disconnected my external USB mouse and uninstalled the Device Manager entry.

I powered down, rebooted w/o the mouse installed and gave my desktop five minutes to go blank.

Yay! It didn't fail. I reinstalled the mouse and will see how it goes for the next 24 hours.

PLAN C
My joy about Plan B was premature.
What finally (after a month with no black screen issues) fixed it for me was following the instructions at this link for setting the System unattended sleep timeout.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/35767-sleep-return-timeout-unattended-wake-up.html
Michael

Dsquard2

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
So....I wanted to share what fixed this issue for me.

I did not enable vertical sync in-game, but I did change my FPS to match the refresh rate of my monitor. The issue at hand is that my GPU was pushing itself to the limit with the FPS being uncapped by default. I was crashing in different parts of the game. It was only THIS fix that fixed the issue for me.

I hope this helps.

-Dan

BobHarbison

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
I was experiencing this problem constantly, and it seemed to be getting worse. I finally narrowed it down to Google Chrome, and especially when browsing Facebook. Reading various threads led me to suspect it was an outdated version of Java, but I un-installed any version I could find to no avail, both manually, and with the removal tool. Finally, I was close to doing a fresh install of Win 10, when I decided to give iolo System Mechanic a try. I figured what did I have to lose, if it hosed my system, I'd just move on to the reinstall. It worked great. Found a bunch of problems in the registry (though it was kind of vague on details) and various other conflicts. Before using it I could rely on FB crashing to the black screen, which isn't really a crash, but renders your system unusable and needs a reboot, within 10 minutes in Google Chrome. I've been using it for days now, no problems.

Minister_Fredrick

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016

I have my TV connected and I used your "In Device Manager for short it was under Monitor=>Generic PnP Monitor, disable it. Thats how i fixed it for me." If this works, I WANT TO SEND YOU ALL THE LOVE IN THE WORLD! NO ONE has been able to solve this for me! I have paid people, all they wanted to do was sell me new video card's and computers. Thank you so very much. Time to Reboot and see what happens.

Andrew_164

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
Digging I found problem to be with refresh rate. The generic PNP monitors were set to 59MHz. Changing to 60 solved issue.

My Configuration - 2 DEL U2414H and 2 ACERs. I had a similar problem with my home computer when connecting to TV. Not sure why windows defaults to 59HZ

Jazeon

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
I have had the same problem since building my computer, but i'm using integrated graphics on the 6700 until I get my 1070 strix.

At first I thought it was the HDMI cable, which when changed it stopped for a while then resumed. I turned off error reporting and problem something in services to no avail. I find graphically intense games tend to cause it to go black for more frequently. I will try the various solutions posted and others and see if i can resolve this.

acurila

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016
Hi,

I am having the same issue since this summer.

Originally my PC (HP with a 745GTX bought last christmas) had 3 monitors / TV plugged into it.

One monitor (DVI) mirrored to a Philips TV (Display Port) and an extra Panasonic TV as occasional extended desktop (HDMI).

I started having the issue of Black Screen with Cursor (and dismount sound, like if the Video card get dismounted) this summer while watching video on app such as Canal Play.
And now it happens once a day while watching videos on YouTube in full-screen.
I've manager to get back control on the PC by unplugging my monitor and see on the TV that the Lock screen has come up. Then I could see at that moment that the Video card was dismounted (no more Nvidia contextual menu in the right-click and disappeared from the device manager).

Since then I tired :

• - Updating my drivers to lastest one (372.90)
    - Disabling the two Generic PnP Monitor in device manager
    - Removing the extended desktop TV (which I never use anyway) to use only DVI port for the Monitor and HDMI for the Philips TV

Things I am planning to test out (either I haven't had the chance to try, either I just though about it by writing here!):

• - Keep the resolution when mirror as 1680x1050 (native of the monitor) instead of the full HD resolution of 1920x1080 (native of the TV), since I always switch to TV native resolution when watching videos on the TV.
    - Watching videos non Full-Screen and see if the issue occurs.
    - Try with another video card.
    - Install the Windows 10 Anniversary edition (to see if this is build issue with a Windows update or something...)

Since the issue is so random and hard to reproduce accurately (even though now it seems to occur once a day at least) it is very hard to pinpoint, but because it becomes more and more recurrent I am starting to have feel that the video card is faulty.

Thanks

Legaard

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

I know it's not much help, but I just wanted to bump this thread. This started to occur to me today.
Weird thing is that it seems to be related to using both TV and monitor. I've used my TV a lot lately and unplugged it yesterday, and now the problem has shown its ugly face.

Status
Not open for further replies.