Help: Random black screen with PC running (Windows 10 + GTX760)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

costin96

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
Hello,

I just switched from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Education (both geniue OEM licenses).
I had installed Windows 10 cleanly (full SSD/HDD formats, installed drivers, updated motherboard BIOS and so on). Now, I have -alot- of problems with random black screens.

Those "black screens" appear randomly, but ONLY IN BROWSING/IDLE (not in gaming). The screen just goes off for 1-2 secounds and then comes right back on. While the screen is off, if I attempt to press any keyboard key, or media keys, (typing, or maybe change the volume), I would hear some beep sounds.

Nothing else goes wrong or crashes while screen goes black for 2 seconds.

What I tried (without any luck):
- tested screen on other PC
- tested cable
- checked Event Viewer to see if something popps up. Nothing strange was detected
- removed my GPU and cleaned it (atlhough it was clean and it has ~32C in idle)
- reinstaled the GPU Drivers in SafeMode, with DDU (DisplayDriverUninstaller). Also disabled windows update for drivers, to make sure I get the latest drivers from GeForceExperience
- raided nVidia forums and everything I could find useful.

Specs:
CPU: i5 4690k
Mobo: asus z97-k
GPU: Gigabyte GTX760 (3x windforce version) 2GB
PSU: HighPower Sirtec 500W bronze (4+ years old, but system doesn't crash in full load with furmark + cpu stress test so I assume it won't have any reason to crash in idle)

Any help would be really apreciated :(.

Thanks

acurila

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

So I've manager to pinpoint a little bit more of the issue:

• - If I keep the resolution of the screens to 1680x1050 (native for the monitor and scaling for the TV), the Black Screen doesn't occur.

- If I setup the resolution to 1920x1080 (Native fothe TV and scaling for the monitor), the Blak Screen comes up after about 12/15 min of a Youtube video in full screen without touching the mouse or the keyboard.

Once the issue occurs, after insisting pressing combos such as CTRL+ALT+DEL, CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, WIN+P, WIN+DOWN etc. etc, the Windows 10 login Screen eventually appear and I can log on the PC.

Then I can see that Error code 43 is displayed in the device manager on my Video card (Nvidia 754 GTX) and I need to restart the computer to have it back as nothing happened...

I'll try to get another video card from work to check if it happened with other card or if mine is simply faulty.

krisbecker9

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
I got a new HP notebook running windows 10, a month old. I got random black screen only when browsing. So when black screen occurs, I just press ALT+F4 to close the browser and then it will go back to the normal screen. I tried other browser, safari, firefox, explorer, the same. It will just go back to black screen. So I will turn off the laptop, take the batt off and then it's fixed. After a few hours, I end up doing the same process again.

Tried the steps mentioned above, not helping.

I will keep an eye on this thread, hoping to have a permanent solution. Thank you guys,

David Joor

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
My solution: Changed display refresh rate from 29p to 30p.

Using HDMI from my laptop to a large Samsung TV and certain websites in Chrome would have the screen go black for a few seconds. Tried all the common things like cables, inputs, turning off hardware acceleration, and drivers. I found one website that would trigger this every time I got to the footer http://www.redrc.net/ and from the code the only thing I can think that was causing was an iframe for the FB/Twitter buttons.

nameslewis

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
hello atm i am having this problem with the screen going black and all. but i updated to windows 10 months ago. i recently installed a new gpu and all the updates are up to date i always update my pc when updates come out. can anyone help? only recently the screen has been going black since i installed the new gpu
only happens when i go afk and then come back. the weird thing is i can still use my mouse and even click on google chrome and use it when i close the tab its still black screened :/

Status
Not open for further replies.