HELP!! Random crashes with kingston 2G ram + asus P5B deluxe

p3p

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
Hi,

I have an e6600, asus p5bdeluxe, 8800GTS twintech, 500 gig seagate sata drive, kingston KVR667D2N5K2/2G (2 x 1 Gig sticks)

Originally when I put both sticks in, windows would just crash. Any file I download, or open, or close would give me a file corrupt message.

so I remove one stick, use memtest86, and it passes well to about 105% after 20 mins.

I figure its all good so i leave on for the night, wake up the next morning and then I get a BSOD. when windows loads, it tells me a registry had to be copied back due to error.

I run memtest86 again and it FAILS!! saying there is a problem writing to and from the ram.

I notice in the manual it officially supports the same type of ram up to (2x512Mb) I have the 2 x 1 gig version.

this has caused me a lot of headaches, can someone please tell me what it could be? is it dud ram? is it something in the settings I'm not doing (ive left it all on auto, even changed to manual, put volate it wanted)

but memtest still fails...how could it work last night, but then fail this morning??

thanks

p3p

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
yeah..

I just wonder if anyone with my motherbard has 2x 1 gig kingston sticks and is running them fine.

im gonna have to bite the bullet and get some 1G kit corsair sticks (corsair have never failed me in the past)

anyone else got any ideas?

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Wait a minute, i just reread your post again carefully this time and found out that you're using asus p5b delux mobo. Isn't the maximum ram 8gb for 667mhz and lower or 4gb of ddr2 800mhz?

notice in the manual it officially supports the same type of ram up to (2x512Mb) I have the 2 x 1 gig version.

where in the manual does it say it only support 2x512mb memory modules?

p3p

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
hi,

you're right, its an asus p5b deluxe and it should support up to 8GB of ram on 667mhz no probs.

in terms of what it said in the manual, in terms of official vendors it has the exact model chip but only up to the 2x512MB, i didnt see the 2x1G. i mean it should support it, but i just didnt see it listed in the manual.

what do your reckon?

as a side note i should have mentioned, I did have a asus p5b motherboard with that had BENT cpu pins on it. *found out too late*. I replaced the CPU but I didnt replace the ram. reckon it could have busted it up?

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
according to this site

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5B%20Deluxe/P5B_Deluxe_QVL.pdf

I assume that part no kvr667d2n5/1G is your ram instead of what you said

kingston KVR667D2N5K2/2G
because that's 2gb stick not 1gb.

The kingston kvr667d2n5/1G is supported as single channel, dual channel and 2 pairs of dual channel which says on their website as A*, B*, and C*.

Do you have a spare computer to try these kingston memory on? If so, i would do that and use mem86+ to test it if it's stable. If it isn't stable, RMA it for new ones.

p3p

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
hi,

the thing is the sticker on ram says KVR667D2N5K2/2G on it.

but bios comes up saying that each stick is 1 gig.

Im confused : / does KVR667D2N5K2/2G mean each stick is 2 gig?

if i got sold a return or they've stuffed it up ill be most annoyed.

all that aside, it should work in theory? unless ive been given dud ram

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I was guessing kvr667d2n5k2/2g is 2gb /stick because kvr667d2n5k2/512 is 512mb/stick and kvr667d2n5k2/1gb is 1gb. But after doing a little research, it turned out that kvr667d2n5k2/2g is 1x2gb dual channel package. Thus kvr667d2n5k2 should be the same thing as kvr667d2n5k2/1g but different label. I typed in these 2 part no. on google and pressed i'm feeling lucky button and it directed me to a pdf document of its specification. Its the same kingston value select series with cl5.

Try the memory model on a different computer and test it if it works. If not, the memory is dud. RMA it.

Mondoman

Splendid
One problem may be that you have almost all "Mercedes" parts, but "el cheapo" RAM. You should verify that you RAM is being run at the proper speed and latency settings with something like CPU-Z.
If the problems happen only after the system has been on for a while, you may have an overheating problem. Are you using the stock Intel cpu cooler? If not, are you using a "downdraft"-style cooler that blows air down onto the MB and out in all directions, or a different style of aftermarket cooler? If the latter, you may not be getting proper airflow cooling the northbridge and/or radiator above the PWM area between the CPU and rear of board.

p3p

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2007
thanks for the replys...

im gonna bite the bullet and get new corsair ram, I have a feeling the ram is stuffed. Ive tried virtually all settings, with the system box open, blowing air onto it. changing slots, etc.

if i had another system that supported ddr2 id know instantly..but ah well, fortunaetly it isnt as costly as other components..

ill give it a go and update this thread.