Help re-installing a CPU that is stuck to its Heatsink

YourInnerNinja

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
[strike]I was playing around with an old computer I had laying around. I decided to take the Heatsink out and clean it, but noticed the CPU came with stuck with it (See Pictures Below). The computer is about 5-6 years old and hasn't been used for about 2-3. The CPU listed is "AMD Athlon 64" and the socket can be found from my pictures.

From my basic knowledge of computer components, I assume that to re-install it, the metal arm from the motherboard needs to be raised for the CPU to go in, then lowered and locked for the CPU to be secured. However, I cannot find a way to get the CPU off without potential damage. Also, I do not have spare thermal paste if the CPU came off. Would it be essential for me to have thermal paste after I remove the CPU? Or is there a way of putting the CPU and Heatsink piece on without damage?[/strike]

I have gotten the CPU out by heating it up by hair-dryer and slowly twisting it off. I installed the CPU and it fit perfectly. The Heatsink is also installed. However, the old thermal paste is still applied. Will I have to add new thermal paste? I do not have any at hand right now though. Will the old thermal paste work? Some of it is still on the Heatsink and CPU.

YWPjPDt.jpg

rAI6IsE.jpg
JEdZCIP.jpg

Thanks for reading!
-Mike

P.S. Apologies for the blurry images, but I think they should give an idea on what I'm dealing with.